16: Missing

I didn't sleep too well that night. In all honesty, I don't think anyone did.

Even from Dad and I's setup at the end of the farm property, I could smell the burning of flesh from the farmhouse; they were obviously burning the walker's bodies. The smell was almost intoxicating, and as I walked towards the farm that morning, it only got worse.

When I eventually did reach the farmhouse, I could still feel the sadness lingering in the air, and I had a feeling it would be there for awhile. The only thing I could do to ignore it was fake a smile and try and make people believe that I was okay.

That morning when I woke up, Dad wasn't in the tent, so I supposed he was helping out with the burning of the bodies. As I suspected, I was right; Rick, Shane, Dad, and T-Dog were on burn duty. I didn't really want to see them do that, so I just walked around the farm for a little while, looking for someone who I could talk to.

Eventually, I found Glenn sitting on the steps of the farmhouse, a book positioned in his lap. He didn't seem too interested in it though; to me, it looked like he was reading it just so he had something to do.

I went over to him, and as soon as he saw me approaching, he tore his eyes away from the book and smiled weakly at me. "Hey, Sidney. How ya doing?"

I gave him a shrug as I sat down on the steps, squinting in the sunlight when I turned to face him. "I'm okay, I guess. How about you?"

He gave the same shrug I did. "About the same... okay, I guess," he said.

"... Have you seen Carol, at all? Do you know if she's okay?"

"She's only come out of the RV a few times since yesterday... If I'm being honest, I don't know how she could be okay," he said, lowering his head slightly.

I sighed. "That's because she probably isn't."

Glenn didn't say anything for a minute; we just sat in silence on the steps, thinking to ourselves.

"No, she probably isn't," he eventually said, looking out at the farm. "But she will be."

I smiled slightly at his statement, and nodded my head. I looked over and saw that he was looking at me and smiling slightly, nodding his head in reassurance.

Just then, from behind me, I heard a frantic scrambling noise, and the door to the farmhouse was thrown open.

"I need Daddy, where is he?!"

I recognized the voice as Maggie's, and quickly turned behind me to see her looking absolutely panicked.

"I didn't think he was here, I thought he left this morning. Why? Is everything okay?" Glenn asked, immediately jumping up into a standing position.

Maggie shook her head and exhaled quickly. "No; Beth's passed out, I think she's in shock or somethin'..."

Glenn let out a breath as he looked down to me, his eyes serious. "Sidney, go get Rick, tell him I need him up here and that we need to go find Hershel, and quick."

I didn't hesitate in giving him a nod, and taking off to fetch Rick. I had a pretty good idea of where he was, so it didn't take me long to find him. He, Dad, T-Dog, and Shane were still away from the farm, taking care of the bodies from the previous day.