50: The Trade-Off

Beth helped me up from the hospital bed and into the hallway, where, on one end, the police officers were standing, and on the other, the members of our group were standing. I saw an unfamiliar face on our group's side, a small, African-American kid, and I figured that he was the hospital's other attending, Noah. I also saw, on our side, that we had two police officers held captive, and realized that we were going to do a trade off; two of the officers for Beth and I.

When Dad saw Beth and I come to stand out in the hallway, next to the officers, a small smile spread across his face, and he nodded with confidence. I returned the gesture, then looked up to Beth and did the same. It unnerved me, though, that she seemed more nervous than excited.

"Give us Licari, and we'll give you Beth," said Dawn, glaring at out group with eyes that could kill.

I smiled up at Beth, and nudged her forward. She seemed hesitant, but eventually went over to our group's side. Rick met her halfway there, and slipped an arm around her as he took her over. I watched with a smile on my face as Beth went over to my dad and hugged him, letting her head rest on his chest. Dad returned the embrace, and even smiled softly as he did so.

"Now, Shepard for her," Dawn said, her head directing to me as she gave the order. Rick shoved the other police officer forward, and I began to step over to our side. But, before I could, Dawn outstretched an arm in front of me, preventing me from moving.

I looked at her, startled, and said, "it's a fair trade; let me go."

"The trade was two-for-two. They have Noah and Beth, we have Licari and Shepard. Noah and Beth were my previous wards, and I need someone to take their place," she explained heartlessly.

"She's one of ours, you have no claim on her," Rick snarled, stepping forward.

"We saved her life; if not for us she'd be dead right now. She owes us," Dawn retorted.

"Hey, its-it's okay, just let me stay," Noah interjected, stepping forward to come to the officer's side.

"Nah," Dad said, putting a hand on the boy's chest. "You ain't stayin', none of ya'll are stayin'. Sid, come on, get over here."

In a desperate attempt to get away, I placed my hands on Dawn's arm and shoved it away as hard as I could. But, I could tell she wasn't going to let me leave by the cold, circular piece of metal I felt being pressed up against the back of my head.

At that gesture, Dad and Rick drew their guns faster than I could comprehend, and everyone behind them tensed drastically.

"Whoa, no, guys, it's... it's okay, I'll stay," Noah said, stepping forward once again.

"No, no," Rick countered, trying to stop him.

Then, Noah simply shook his head. "It's okay," he said, emphasizing the word. Giving one last look to our side, he paced over to the officer's side with his head hanging low.

"Wait!" I heard Beth cry out, and I snapped my attention over to her. I watched as she ran up to Noah and embraced him, tears bordering her eyes.

Then, I felt Dawn remove the gun from my head, and she took a step over to Beth with an evil smirk on her face. "I knew you'd be back," she said quietly.