57: Gonna Be a Nurse

When the day ran into the later, afternoon hours, I was called to have my "interview" with Deanna. I wasn't quite sure what that entailed of, but I was also excited about it for some reason. It was something new, something I hadn't ever got a chance to do; being interviewed, that was.

Bailey led me to Deanna's house, and then she took it from there, escorting me to her living room.

"Please, have a seat... also, do you mind if I film this?"

"Uh, no, not at all," I said, astonished that she even had a working video camera.

She smiled at me, and began to set up the camera as I took a seat on the couch, which was positioned directly in front of the camera's lens. I didn't feel intimidated, though, as Rick and others most likely felt; I was giddy, for some reason.

"Alright, Miss Sidney; so, from what I understood, you're Daryl's daughter?"

"Yeah, I am," I answered, smiling and nodding.

"Wonderful; you two favor each other, the same eyes, from what I can tell."

I chuckled quietly, and nodded at her once again.

"Although, your personalities are quite different, from what I observed in your father's interview. He's... timid, possibly?"

"Uh, yeah, he's just... not much of a people person, I guess. It's nothing against you, or the community, it's... he's not used to it, none of us are. Especially from the way Dad and I both grew up. Communities where you know your neighbor, where you're friends with them... that's completely unknown to us."

Deanna nodded in understanding, and her face seemed to soften slightly. "What was your childhood like, Sidney?"

I blew out a breath, letting out a quiet, "um..." under my breath. "It-it was hard. I had an uncle, my dad's brother, he lived with us. He was a good guy, and I loved him, but just... hard to live with, sometimes. Made things a little difficult for me, growing up. Made it hard for me to get close to my dad."

"But, you're close now, I see?"

"Oh, yeah, definitely. We're closer now than we've ever been before."

Deanna grinned, and seemed pleased with my answer. "I'm glad for the both of you... now, tell me, Sidney, did you perform well in school?"

I didn't exactly see how the question was relevant, but I answered it anyway, wanting to make a good first impression. "From what I remember, yeah, I think so. I had my good days and bad days."

"Did you have a favorite subject?"

"I was actually good at math... hated reading, hated history, pretty good at science, I remember."

Deanna's eyes lit up, and her smile grew. "Perfect."

"... perfect for what?" I asked, laughing quietly.

"Well, you see, we have two people in the medical field here in Alexandria; Bailey, who you've met, is our nurse, and another valued member of our community, Pete, is a surgeon. Now, I have no doubt in your ability to perform out in the world; you've made it this far with your group, and Rick and Daryl have both talked about your many contributions. But, I believe that, with your certain personality and determination, that you would be a great apprentice to Bailey, and Pete as well."