76: Get Outta My Way

That night, sleep heavily evaded me. I was worried about my dad, frightened from the day's events, and furious that Denise's killer had gotten away. I couldn't sort of my emotions, and just lying in bed, staring up at the ceiling, wasn't helping matters.

When it was around five in the morning, I tip-toed downstairs, and went to sit out on the porch in one of the rocking chairs. It was still dark out, the sun not yet peeking from behind the trees, therefore most of Alexandria was enticed in a smooth slumber. It was calm, just sitting out on the porch, looking up at the early morning sky. For a moment, all my worries floated away, and it was just me and the stars.

Then, I heard a car engine spur at Alexandria's front gate. The sound brought me up from my chair instantly, and I ran down the steps of the porch, looking towards the gate. It was open, but quickly being closed by a shorter woman. Before she could close the gate, I caught a hint of gray hair, and realized, shocked, that it was Carol. Before I could chase after her, the car engine roared to life, and sped away from the community.

I stood in the middle of the Alexandrian street, mouth agape with confusion, before turning and sprinting back into the house. I had no idea why Carol would run off, but I had observed that, since we attacked the Savior's Outpost, she had been more distant. Sadder, almost. That, combined with the fact that she left during the guard shift, obviously not wanting to be seen, formed a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach.

I rushed upstairs, not caring about how much noise I was making. I immediately went to Rick's bedroom, feeling as though he would be the person to inform first. I didn't knock, figuring he would just be sleeping, and instead turned the knob and just walked straight in.

Allow me to put it this way.

He wasn't sleeping. Or, I should say, they weren't sleeping.

"Oh-oh my God, oh my God!"

"Oh, shit!"

I ran out, slamming the door behind me and pressing my back against the wood. I gasped, clasping a hand over my mouth and exhaling.

I wanted to wack myself on the head with a bat and get amnesia in order to forget what I had just seen.

I shook my head, trying to refocus, and went to enter Dad's room instead. He needed to be woken, too, even though I didn't want to tell him Carol had just left. With him feeling guilt over Denise's death, he didn't need the added stress, but I knew he'd have to find out eventually.

I opened the door and peeked my head in, knowing Dad was probably already awake with the commotion I had caused.

Oh, he was awake alright. And so was Bailey Hills.

"Oh, come on!" I exclaimed, thrashing the door shut. I sighed once again, groaning softly. "I'm never sleeping in this house again."

Just then, Rick popped his head out of his door, looking extremely flustered. "What do you need, Sidney?"

"Look, I was sitting on the porch and I heard a car start from the gate. I looked, and saw Carol closing the gate. She got in the car, and drove away as fast as she could, so unless she's scheduled to be on a run today-..."

"She's not, dammit," he muttered. "Give us a minute, we'll be right out."

He retreated back into the room, closing the door, and I gave myself a confident nod. It's all fine, everything's fine. Adults are allowed to sleep in the same bed, what's wrong with that?