107: The New World

By the next morning, everyone was standing on pins and needles. What was about to occur would be the battle that decided our lives. If we won, we would be free, after months of unimaginable torment, but if we didn't, we would suffer more dehumanization than ever before, and most likely lose a lot more people than we could stand. If we lost, I wasn't sure if I could live with myself, and I was sure some others were feeling the same way.

Despite all the worry in the air, the morning was a beautiful one. The sun shown down upon the Hilltop without a cloud in the sky, and the fall weather provided a gentle breeze that kept us cool under the sun's rays. It seemed as if someone upstairs had shown a light down on us, sprinkling a little bit of hope down on each and every one of us.

I was a part of the first team, which consisted of Dad, Rosita, Morgan, Carol, King Ezekiel, Jerry, Jesus, Rick, Michonne, and myself. Since Dwight had provided the location of where the Saviors would be meeting in their plan to overtake Hilltop, we knew we had to get there before they did.

There were several other points Dwight had mapped, where Saviors were waiting at selected locations on the road, hoping to catch and ambush us. Naturally, we quickly turned the tides on them. We waited until the time was right, when no one was looking, and started rapid-firing on the Saviors in one of the locations.

They were all dead before they knew what hit them.

We scouted the area afterwards, searching the Savior's trucks and cars for any weapons, ammunition, or anything that could help us in our fight. There wasn't much besides a few empty pistols and clips, but apparently I wasn't looking in the right places.

"Good people, I've found something on our quarry," Ezekiel announced after a few moments of searching. "It appears to be a list and another map."

Before the man could utter another word, Rick gently snatched the items from his hand, scouring over them with harsh eyes. "They're lining up a bunch of Saviors on the Old Mill Road," he began, and dropped the map to his side. If not for the new discovery of the map, we would've been in the completely wrong place; Dwight's map was incorrect, and would've had us ambushed if we'd listened to him.

"That's where Negan will be," Rick finalized. He spit out the name with a heavy dose of poison on his tongue, and afterwards I even found myself looking up to him with surprise.

After a second he caught my glare, and gave me an affirmative nod. Me, and only me, knew what that nod signified.

"Maggie," he spoke, turning on his walkie-talkie.

Maggie replied instantly, and Rick began relaying to her what he had found. "It's time... it was a trap, so we're changing the plan.."

"