34: Going To War

When Rick, along with Michonne and Carl, returned from their gun-run, they were all surprised to find we had taken in three new people. Rick, obviously, was the most skeptical. He spent over an hour alone with each person before he made his final decision; that they could stay, but for the first few days they'd be in their own cell block.

When we first brought them into the prison to introduce them to everyone, it was far from a welcoming first impression. No one spoke at first; our group just eyed the three unfamiliars with caution, except for Dad and I. Both of us had already come to the conclusion that they were good people, just from when we first met them and how they'd acted since then.

After a minute, Lea was the one to break the silence, and her statement made everyone raise an eyebrow.

"Wow... this reminds me of the mail room I used to work in, except it smells like mushrooms and everyone looks like they wanna hurt me," she said out of nowhere, a shy smile on her face. When she saw that no one else was smiling, she rid herself of the expression in less than a second.

"We're not gonna hurt you, unless you give us a reason to, and for your sake I hope you won't," Rick told her, nodding his head.

Ben wasn't intimidated by Rick in the least, and I didn't know if that was a good or bad thing. "That shouldn't be a problem... we'll keep to ourselves, stay outta your way until you need our help, for the first few days at least."

Rick nodded. "I think that's a good idea, for now... come on, I'll show you to your cell block."

With that, Rick began walking through a nearby hallway, the group following close behind him. Their cell block was going to be the one directly next to ours, so we could still communicate with them, but keep ourselves safe at the same time. Although, I was sure that, within a few days, they'd be moving into our cell block.

After Rick escorted the group to their new home, he came back into our block, and closed the door behind him. We gathered around him, because I think all of us had a feeling that he had an announcement.

"On the way back from our run, we ran into one of the Governor's men. He told me that he wanted to talk with me, tomorrow, at an old mill. We're gonna try and work things out..."

Out of all the things for Rick to say, I didn't expect it to be that. After all that the Governor had done to us, what was there left to discuss?

"What do ya mean you're gonna try and 'work things out'... there ain't nothin' left to work out, man," Dad said to Rick, shaking his head.

"We're gonna try and make peace, just so no one else gets hurt. No one else is dying here, not while we can help it. And if this is what it takes to keep it everyone alive... then, so be it."

Rick scanned the room, looking at every person's individual face, before he looked back to my dad. "You coming with me tomorrow?"

Dad immediately nodded, telling Rick, "yeah, I gotcha."

Rick returned Dad's nod as a thank you before turning back and looking at the rest of us. "I don't know what's gonna happen with the Governor... but if we can't reach a compromise, then we're gonna have to kill him."

After that, Rick promptly walked off, leaving us alone to contemplate.