66: Rosita's Jackpot

I asked Rosita where exactly she was taking us, and there was no reply. I asked a second time, and she told me that if I asked again, she'd turn the car around and force me back into lockdown.

I stayed quiet.

I let her drive until the sun was fully upon us, taking me God knows where to do God knows what. The ride was spent in total silence, me too frightened to speak and her just not wanting to. I knew she wouldn't take me anywhere where I'd get hurt, I trusted her that much, but then again, I still had absolutely no idea where the Hell we were going.

After drowning in anticipation for possibly two or three hours, Rosita rolled the car to a halt. I looked around as she applied the brakes, trying to figure out where we were, only to find that we were just in the middle of an empty road. Trees surrounded us to our left, while a wide, open field was to our right. I didn't see any sort of building or vehicle, let alone people, which might've actually been for the better.

"Rosita... what are we doing?" I asked her, growing worried as she popped open her door and exited the car. As she came to a standing position on the asphalt, she leaned her head back in the car, looking at me curiously.

"Relax; I'm not gonna hurt you. I just need your help with something. Come on, it's not far," she said, using a reassuring tone of voice. She then straightened herself back to her full height, and closed the door behind her. Not having any other choice, I did the same, letting out a long breath as I did so.

When I got out of the car, Rosita had already begun walking into the woods, and I did a weird jog-like movement to catch up with her. She said nothing to me as we walked through the woods, but she seemed to know exactly where she was going, so once again, I put my trust in her. She hadn't ever given me a reason not to trust her, really.

We walked for an extremely long time (or, at least it felt like that to me) before Rosita came to a sudden halt, sticking her arm out across my midsection to stop me as well. Startled, I looked forward, hoping to finally see the reason why Rosita had brought me all the way out into the middle of, seemingly, nowhere.

I was somewhat disappointed by the sight of a moss-covered, stone building in the middle of the woods, completely out of place. It looked extremely old, and the bricks were stained with green from various plants growing up through them.

"I've seen buildings like this before; they're used to hide dangerous stuff. Guns, explosives, tear gas... there's a lot of nasty stuff in buildings like these," Rosita explained, narrowing her eyes as she scoped out the place.

"Why do we need it?" I asked her, furrowing my eyebrows.

"We don't; not right now, at least. But, you can never know anymore. And, if we don't take it, someone else definitely will."

I figured her reasoning was in the right place, and she was actually right; if the place hadn't been looted already, it sure would be by someone else if we didn't get to it first.

Without another word, Rosita began walking down towards the building, and I followed close behind. She was being quiet, and extremely cautious with every step. I didn't know her reasoning, but I trusted her anyway, so I tried to step exactly where she stepped, being as silent as possible,

When we reached what I figured was the front door to the building, she used one hand to gently push open the door, keeping the other tightly grasping her assault rifle. The door creaked eerily as it opened, and Rosita took three careful steps into the building. I tailed her closely, scanning the dark building with skepticism as I walked inside. It smelled strongly of mildew, and the thought crossed me that the building must've been there, unknown and undisturbed, for some time.