41: State of Sorrow

The next few days went by in a hazing, depressing blur.

Nothing got better; everything continued to spiral downhill, and I was sent into a state of sorrow I hadn't ever been in before. But, I couldn't let it show. With my dad and Glenn both progressively getting worse with the swine flu, Hershel taking care of them, and Michonne running out to look for the Governor, Rick came to me for help, and I gave it to him. I became his temporary right-hand, and he confided in me the things that he would usually tell to Dad, or Glenn, or Hershel.

Over the course of those next few days, a total of three major events occurred that made me fall deeper into my state of sorrow.

The first was the unexpected killing of two of our own, Karen and David.

Tyreese was the one who discovered the charred bodies in the courtyard, and, being that Karen was his girlfriend and David was a friend, demanded that Rick immediately find the killer and punish them. I sided with him, saying that whoever committed murder of our own people needed to be sent away, banished. With the sickness going around, we didn't need a murderer to be adding to our death toll.

Rick and I searched endlessly for any clues as to who committed the crime. It took us awhile before we found the handprint smeared in blood on the doorframe. He, being the expert in criminal justice, examined the print, and asked me to place my hand alongside it. From the comparison, he told me, for sure, that it was a woman who had killed Karen and David.

The second, subsequent, event was Carol's banishment from the prison.

Based on the size of the handprint, and the fact that Carol had taken over a parental-role for two children of Woodbury, Lizzie and Mica, it didn't take much to figure out that she had committed the crime. Her motive was simple; Karen and David were both sick with Swine, so by ending their lives, there was a lower risk of the disease spreading, and a lower risk of Lizzie and Mica getting sick. At least, that's what Carol thought.

I didn't even get to say goodbye before Rick and Carol took a car and drove off to God knows where. In the end, he was the only one who returned. He knew I was going to say something to him, so he took the liberty of sitting down and explaining to me why he did what he did. I didn't exactly blame him for it, I knew he did what had to be done, but that still didn't make the situation any easier.

I knew my dad and Carol were very close, she even acted as a mother-figure towards me, so I volunteered to be the one to tell him about her banishment.

But, when Hershel told me he had been unconscious and barely breathing for an extended amount of time, I decided to wait until we woke up. If he woke up.

And then, the final event that occurred, was that the Governor, in all his sadistic glory, showed up outside our prison with an army and a tank.