60: Date Disaster

"I can't believe I got talked into this..."

"Well, think on the bright side; maybe your dad will do something at least moderately embarrassing so we have something to laugh about."

"I'm counting on it."

I exhaled a breath as I twirled around to face Carl, throwing my arms out and smiling. "How do I look?"

"Cute, as per usual," he smirked.

I rolled my eyes playfully, and grabbed his arm with a smile. "Come on, we gotta meet Dad outside."

Once Carl and I had descended the stairs of our house and exited through the front door, we saw my dad sitting on the top step of the porch. As soon as he heard the house door open, he jumped up, and spun around to face us. For once, he actually looked like he tried to dress up. He was wearing a red and white flannel shirt, somewhat-nice black jeans, and he had cleaned his boots, which were usually drowned in dirt. Also, his hair looked like it had been combed and washed.

"Talk about dress to impress," Carl said, nodding his head to Dad.

"Ah, hush," Dad said, dismissing the comment with his hand. "Ya'll ready?"

"As we'll ever be, yes," I answered, sounding despondent.

Dad sighed, and gave me one of his infamous death glares. "One night, I'm askin' for one night here, Sid, I-..."

"I know, I know; I'm pickin' with you, Dad, jeez. Take a chill pill," I told him, beginning to walk down the porch steps and across the street.

I heard the two guys' footsteps as they caught up with me, and fell in step beside me. When we got to Bailey's house, the three of us stepped onto the porch, with Carl and I standing behind Dad. For a moment, he didn't do anything, and I cleared my throat.

"You gonna knock on the door?" I questioned.

He scoffed. "'Course," he muttered, saying it as if I were stupid.

He outstretched his hand to knock on the door, but before he could make contact, the door swung open from the inside. We were greeted by a smiling Bailey, dressed in a white T-shirt and a cute, yellow cardigan.

"Hey, guys!" she said cheerfully. We all greeted her in return, and her smile broadened. "Ya'll can come in, I'm just finishing up dinner."

I smiled at her, and the three of us followed her into her home. It looked very similar to the houses we had been gifted, except she had took some time to decorate a little more. The walls in her living room were painted a faint caramel color, unlike the ones in our home, which were basic white. Her curtains were a combination of mint green and white, and had lighted crystal orbs cascading down from them.

Remember that last detail.

"Do you guys want some water or something?" Bailey asked, walking over to her refrigerator.

"Um, I'll take some water, if you don't mind," I said, nodding my head to her.

"Okay, great. Daryl, Carl, you guys want anything?" she asked, handing me a cold water bottle.