Chapter 2

It's Monday again and she still hasn't come back. When Uncle Mark leaves for work, we will run out again. We need someone to see us again this time. We need to get found.

After punishing us on Tuesday, Uncle Mark hasn't touched us once. It's unusual, but I like it.

We watch as his car drives down the long, winding driveway before carefully sneaking though the window. I push Nevvy out first, then climb out myself. My stomach growls as we start to run towards the neighbors yard. There house is very far from ours, but if someone is outside, they could see us.

We slow down after running for a while, both out of breath. We rarely do more than clean the house. This is very tiring.

"I wish Uncle Mark went to work everyday," Nevvy says.

"Me too," I reply, grabbing her hand.

We spend a shorter amount outside than last time since we're much farther from the house. We start to run back and make it inside just in time to do some of our chores before he gets home.

"Girls," Uncle Mark says, "I have Jake coming tonight, so I want the house to look perfect and for you to wash your clothes so that you look nice, okay?"

We both nod, but we know what this means. It's game night for Uncle Mark and his friend, Jake. This isn't a frequent thing, but if we don't follow orders, we will get hurt. After the first few painful game nights, Nevvy and I learned to go to the basement and hide behind the big freezer so that they can't find us.

We hurry to do our chores, then wash our clothes before we hear the doorbell ring. We quickly put on our clothes and jump over the freezer and into our hiding spot. We use one of our blankets and hold our dirty stuffed animals while we are back there.

"Girls!" we hear Jake yell. "If you don't come out you won't get supper!"

"It's fun; I promise!" Uncle Mark calls.

We ignore their voices the best we can and stay hidden while the room becomes dark, meaning that is night. Without our stew, Nevvy and I are hungry, but we don't dare to leave our spot since Jake is still upstairs. Eventually, I feel myself getting tired and look over to see Nevvy sleeping.

I relax a little and try to sleep. Hopefully he will be gone by tomorrow.

The next morning, the sun shines straight through the downstairs window, waking us up.

"Is Jake gone?" Nevvy asks.

"I don't know," I whisper in response.

We hear the doorbell and stay as still as possible while Uncle Marks footsteps creak up to the door.

"We received another report." It was the lady! After that, I couldn't hear the conversation since they moved through the house.

I listened to their footsteps walk throughout the house until they came back near the door to the basement.

"Could I look in your basement?" I hear her ask Uncle Mark.

I don't hear a reply, but the door creaks open.

"Should we get up?" Nevvy asks.

I nod and we slowly peak out of our hiding spot before standing up and climbing back over the freezer.

"Can you explain these girls then?" the lady asks him.

"My nieces," he squeaks out.

"They look neglected. How long have they been down here?"

"Just for night."

She shakes her head. "I will be taking you and these girls into the office for a chat. Now."

She reaches out her hand and I carefully take a few steps forward. I have made mistakes with new people before. I cannot just trust her this easily. I can see that Nevvy is visibly shaking, but I grab her hand and we walk up to the lady.

She leads us outside and to a truck. I've never been inside one, but I have been in a car. Nevvy wouldn't remember though; I have to help her so she doesn't get scared.

We sit in the back and the lady straps us in with belts. They don't hurt like I thought they would. Uncle Mark sits in the front beside the lady.

Nevvy starts crying, but I hold her hand. We have to be strong and brave. This could be our way out.

-----

I'm sorry that I couldn't update sooner, but school has been cancelled due to weather today and yesterday as well. I hope you enjoy!