Chapter 19

I sit up, gasping, with my eyes closed until I feel safe enough to slowly open them. Uncle Mark is gone; Demi is once again sitting at the edge of the bed.

"Are you okay, Lilly?" she asks.

"What happened?" My voice cracks as I feel a scratch in my throat.

"I don't know. What made you so scared?"

"Uncle Mark," I reply.

"Well, it is just after midnight. Do you want to go back to sleep or go play some piano?"

"Piano, please."

"Come on."

Demi and I quietly make our way to the music room since Wilmer is still sleeping. It feels a little creepy to be up during the night in such a big house, but Demi makes it fun.

I play her a song that I remember with just my right hand, then Demi starts to teach me the song with my left hand too. It's a little hard to make them play different things at the same time, but I enjoy the challenge.

"You're learning really fast," Demi compliments.

"Thank you." I lean over and hug Demi. Although she's hugged me before, this is the first time that I started it. It feels strange, to trust her like that, but she makes me feel safe.

I notice that there are tears gathering in Demi's eyes. "What's wrong?" I ask her.

"Nothing. I'm just happy that we have you."

"Oh."

I turn back to the piano and try to play the song again. 

"Do you want me to sing along?" she asks.

I know that singing is making music with your mouth, but I don't know how good it will sound with the piano song. Still, I'm interested, so I nod.

When she starts to sing, the music sounds beautiful. It gives me goosebumps and I smile as the song finishes. She's a very good singer; I wouldn't be surprised if she was good at almost everything.

"Do you think you're ready to go back to bed yet?"

I shrug my shoulders. I still feel a little scared when I think about the bedroom.

"How about if you come to Wilmer and I's room?" she questions.

"Okay," I murmur.

Demi takes my hand and we walk back upstairs to Demi and Wilmer's room. I think I might be bothering Demi by keeping her awake and staying in her bed, but she doesn't seem to mind. She picks me up and sits me beside Wilmer where I lay down slowly so I don't wake him up.

I look up at Demi. She's crying again, but she doesn't look sad. Lifting the blanket, Demi climbs into the bed beside me, sandwiching me between her and Wilmer. A while ago, this would have scared me, but now I I feel content. I drift into sleep.

---

When I wake up, I am the only one in the bed. "Demi!" I scream. This strange room is creepy when they aren't here with me.

Demi appears in the doorway after I hear her running to the room. "Are you okay?" she asks.

"Where were you?" 

"Wilmer's at work and I was just making breakfast."

"Oh. Okay," I reply.

I get out of the bed and make my way downstairs after Demi. My legs shake as I walk down the stairs.

Demi hands me a plate of eggs and potatoes, then takes her own. We go outside onto the porch to eat. It's a very beautiful day outside, not too hot, and with little wind. I'm happy that I can go outside freely now that I'm living with Demi and Wilmer.

"Are you feeling better from last night?" Demi asks.

"Yeah," I mumble.

"Wilmer's coming back from work early. If you finish your schoolwork before lunch, we can go somewhere this afternoon."

"Okay," I reply. "I'll go finish it now." I stand up and bring my plate inside, leaving it on the counter before heading up to the guest room.

The schoolwork that was given to me by my tutor has been very easy so far. She comes in 3 times a week and then I have other work to do by myself; I don't even need Demi or Wilmer to help. Everyone says that I learn things very fast and easy.

I finish the math and writing assignments quickly, then go back outside to meet Demi.

"You're done already?" she questions.

"Yeah. When will Wilmer get back?"

"In about an hour. How about we go to a restaurant for lunch once he gets back?"

I nod, smiling. I love spending time with Demi and Wilmer. Something that does scare me just a little about their house is how it is inside a gated community. That means that people need a password to get to all the houses, parks, and other things inside the gate. I know they are very rich, but they don't act like it.

Ever since Demi and Wilmer got me, I've felt strange because there's freedom, but yet there isn't. I couldn't just go see Nevvy if I wanted because I can't leave the gate, and I also don't know where she lives. But, I can go outside and eat whenever. I feel conflicted, but I guess it's alright. Much better than when I lived with Uncle Mark.