Chapter 14

Although she doesn't say it, I know Demi found it weird that I kept my clothes on for night instead of wearing different ones. In my opinion, changing clothes that often is what's weird. Still, Demi and Wilmer come to the room I'm sleeping in and both say goodnight to me. It feels strange to me, but for most people it's probably normal.

It takes me a long time to fall asleep. Most nights, I have bad dreams about being taken away, getting hurt by Uncle Mark and Jake, or of never seeing Nevvy again. Sleeping is much too overrated, but I still try for Demi and Wilmer's sakes.

In the morning, I put on different clothes. I really just want them to like me and I have to act like I know what "normal" is, even though I don't think I do. Sure, Uncle Mark said it was normal, but nobody else does.

The meal that is called breakfast, is called eggs today. They look kind of mushy and gross, but Demi and Wilmer want me to eat it, so I try a little. It's not too bad, and even though I'm not really hungry, I finish what's on my plate.

Demi looks at me once I'm finished. "Great job!" she exclaims. "Are you ready for your appointment?"

I nod, although I don't know what kind of appointment I'm going to today. "What kind?" I ask, keeping the question as short as possible.

"Doctor's," she replies.

I don't like the doctor's at all. He scares me and always touches me with weird objects. Still, I go so that I can please Demi and Wilmer.

Wilmer has to leave for work, so Demi takes me to my appointment in a car that I have never seen before. The straps seem the same, though, so I can do it all by myself. I hope that Demi is proud of me.

At the doctor's, he does everything that he did the last few times, only he does one more thing. He says that he needs some samples and makes me pee into a cup. It's disgusting, but I know I have to.

"She's a lot healthier," the doctor says. "She still needs more nutrients, so I would suggest vitamin supplements now that she's eating. She's still underweight, but as long as she's improving, she'll be fine."

By now, I just want to go back to Demi and Wilmer's house, but instead Demi takes me to a place she calls the mall. I kind of remember being somewhere like this before. There aren't too many people, but I still feel short and follow closely behind Demi at all times.

We buy a lot of clothes before finally going back to her house. I don't see why I need all those clothes, but Demi seems to think that I do. Still, Uncle Mark never did this with me, why would Demi? Aren't all people who care for you the same?

I don't eat lunch because my stomach hurts. Demi says it's because my body isn't used to getting this much food. Apparently, Uncle Mark starved me. I don't even really know what that means.

I don't get to learn more piano today, but Demi does introduce me to the other instruments. She tells me that they also make music, just different kinds. I want to learn all of them, but I don't say that to Demi. I'm not sure if it's normal.

---

Sorry that this is mostly just a filler chapter.

Next Update: Friday