Chapter 40

Demi's POV

After Neveah's parents are arrested, it feels a lot safer to have her in our house. Wilmer and I talked with the girls and agreed that we would apply to adopt Neveah; the mention of it made Lilly so happy. Of course, telling her about the baby was hard, but it seemed as though she understood; her parents died when she was a toddler after all.

I signed Neveah up for the next grade at the closest school. It starts next week, and she seems excited about it. I really hope public school is good for her and that she really enjoys this year.

It's weird to see how differently the girls have reacted to their past. Neveah seems to want to be closer to people because of it (by making friends at school), while Lilly seems to want to hide from people and find other ways to forget (by playing piano). I wish I could understand everything that goes through their heads, but I can't.

---

Wilmer and I talked last night about work. Since I released my new song, I have a few interviews and promotional concerts planned. Basically, this means my career break is over. Wilmer says he won't need to go back to work for another few weeks, but he can't keep pushing everything back.

"What if we get your mom to come over in the afternoons to watch Lilly once her tutoring is over?" he asked.

But I wasn't sure. I wanted to do this parenting thing right, not relying on babysitters and nannies. Sure, Lilly loved my mom, but I wanted to spend time with her and Neveah as much as I possibly could.

---

In the morning, I wake up after Wilmer. I can hear the TV playing downstairs and smell the breakfast Wilmer is making.

My head feels heavy, as though I'm starting to get a cold, so I take something before heading downstairs. The pill gets almost stuck in my sore throat, making me hope it's nothing more serious. I have an interview tomorrow, and I can't be sick.

When Wilmer sees me come down the stairs, he looks worried. "Are you feeling okay?" he asks.

"I think I'm getting a cold," I reply.

"This looks worse than a cold; you should be resting." He helps me get back to our bedroom and tells me he'll bring up some tea once the girls have started eating breakfast.

---

The day fades in and out as I'm resting. I know this is worse than a cold, but I can't cancel my interview. My single needs to do well before we release the full album.

"Demi," Wilmer says, "I'm bringing the girls to your parents tonight. We're going to the emergency clinic tomorrow morning if you're still this sick."

I shake my head, but he won't take 'no' for an answer. I'm almost too tired to care, since it's been hard to sleep. Wilmer gives me some medication which helps as I drift off to sleep.

---

The next morning, I can barely lift my head. My mouth was dry, due to my stuffed-up nose not allowing me to breathe through it while I was sleeping, and my throat burned.

Wilmer was already out of bed and on the phone.

I can't get the words out; my throat is too sore, so I write down my question. "Who are you talking to?"

Once Wilmer's phone call is done, he replies, "Your manager. I said you can't do the interview today or the performance the day after. You look absolutely miserable; I'm taking you to the clinic."

Although I do not want to go, I reluctantly agree that I am quite sick and need to go to the clinic in case I have strep throat or something else more serious than a cold. So, Wilmer helps me get to the car and drives me to the clinic.

"You have strep throat," the doctor says after looking me over. 

My head feels heavy, and I can barely keep upright when sitting.

 "You'll get a prescription for your strep that will last 10 days. Try to rest for at least the first two."

---

I wake up in bed and look at the time. It's only 2 pm and I don't know what to do with myself. I hate being sick, especially when it means missing an interview and spending time with the girls.

"You have a pretty high fever," Wilmer says. "Do you want a bath?"

I shake my head. I don't want to move.

"Do you want a drink?"

I accept the glass of water before falling back asleep.

---

The next time I wake up, it's close to suppertime. The girls are back from my parents', and they're helping Wilmer make supper downstairs. I know this because Wilmer left me a note beside the bed along with another glass of water and a yogurt cup.

I eat the yogurt because I know I need to eat, even though I feel so sick, I don't even know if I can feel hunger.

Wilmer comes up. "The girls are eating. I told them you're too sick to see them. They shouldn't get sick, especially since Neveah starts public school in two days."

I nod in agreement, then lie my head back down.

"Do you need something?" he asks.

I shake my head, although I really would like to spend some time with him, I know that the girls need his attention and I don't want him to get strep throat, too.

He kisses my forehead lightly, then goes back downstairs to be with the girls.

---

I feel quite a bit better the next morning, so I actually get out of bed and shower before Wilmer is even awake.

In the shower, I remember just how sore I really am, so I don't last very long. The curtains are covering the window completely, which had been done yesterday to help me sleep, and I opened them, greeted by sunshine.

Wilmer wakes up when the sun streams into the room. "Are you feeling better?" he asks.

"A bit," I reply. "I'll still rest today; I just needed to shower."

I think of how the baby that could have been our son would never get to see sunlight streaming through the windows in the morning, but he'd never have to get sick, either.

"I'll go get you some breakfast. Why don't you lie back down?"

I don't want to comply, but I know just how protective Wilmer gets when I'm sick, so I get back in bed.

Wilmer comes up with my breakfast, which consists of fruit and yogurt. He hands me my phone that I had barely touched since getting sick.

"It was ringing," he says.

I open the phone to see that Lizzy's friend has both called and texted me a few times.

"I think the girls are awake," I say, hearing footsteps going down the stairs.

"I'll go check." Wilmer leaves the room.

I look at the texts from Lizzy's friend.

They read, "Come to the hospital," "Lizzy's there," and "Please help."

I immediately think the worst as I read the texts over and over again. What happened?

------------

Sorry it took me so long to write this chapter. I hope you enjoy and thanks for reading!