Chapter 10

Demi's POV

Today is our second outing with the sweet little girl that we want to adopt. Lillian is 9 years old, but she acts much younger. She's said maybe 3 words, but I can tell that she wants to say more. I feel really bad for her. By looking in her eyes, anyone could see how much she's been through.

When I arrived at the door today, Lillian was dressed in different clothes, her hair looked washed, and she seemed almost happy to see me. I was so happy that I was close to crying. Now, I know we have to adopt her.

We spend a few hours at the zoo. Lillian seems super interested in all the animals; it's almost like she's a baby who is being introduced to parts of the world for the first time. I'm just scared to find out which parts she has been introduced to.

Miss. Carrie, the caretaker, told us that we could take Lillian out for supper, as long as we understood that she didn't eat. I asked her about it, but Miss. Carrie said that Lillian refuses to eat practically everything. No wonder she's so skinny.

Still, Wilmer drives us to McDonald's where I order her some French fries.

I turn around in my seat to face her once we get the food. "Do you want to try some French fries?" I ask her.

She looks at me, but doesn't seem to register or else understand what I'm asking her.

I pass back the fries and let her see me eat one of my own so that she knows it's safe to eat. She grabs one between her thumb and pointer finger and slowly brings it up to her mouth.

"It's really good," I tell her.

Cautiously, she puts a part of it in her mouth and chews it. I watch her swallow.

"Is it tasty?" I ask.

She nods and half-smiles at me. I still don't think she really trusts that the food is okay for her to eat, but she does eat a few more fries before passing them back to me. It might not seem like much, but I know it is progress.

We drive her back to the orphanage. I really wish I knew more of her story; all I know is that she lived with her uncle and little sister who was adopted a few weeks ago. One day, hopefully, she will tell us more.

I help her out of the backseat and walk her up to the door where Miss. Carrie answers it.

"How was it, Lillian?" she asks.

Lillian smiles a little, then nods as an answer, which I think means it was fun for her. Then, Lillian walks past Miss. Carrie and into the building, waving to me.

"Did she say anything?"

"No, but I can tell that she kind of wants to. It doesn't make a lot of sense."

"Did she eat?"

"A few fries," I reply.

"That's really good," Miss. Carrie says. "It's obvious that she likes you and your husband. I have gotten some of the paperwork ready, so if you would like to start the adoption process, then you could come on Saturday sometime. Lillian will be going to a counselor for an hour or so."

"What for?" I ask.

"Just to try to find out why she isn't eating or talking."

"Okay. Well, then we'll see you on Saturday."

Back in the car, Wilmer and I talk while we drive.

"I don't think she really likes me much," he says.

"She does, I think she's just nervous around men," I reply.

"I hope she gets used to me."

"She already is; I can tell. If we want to start on paperwork, then we can come here Saturday."

"Sounds good," he says.

Our house is surrounded by a fence with a locked gate, but inside that we have a huge yard. Our home is much too big for the two of us and we have 3 spare bedrooms along with our room and a guest room. We have already started to prepare the one room closest to ours for Lillian. I really hope she will like our house and will learn to live a happy and healthy life.

---

I'm so sorry that I didn't update yesterday, but I was really busy so I hope you understand. Anyway, here is the next chapter and I hope you enjoy.

If you'd like to answer, I have 2 questions for you: What do you think motivates Lillian (money, love, etc.)? Also, what is Lillian's strongest personality trait? (These are things I am struggling to find in her.)

Next Update: (hopefully) Saturday