Chapter 29

Demi's POV

When I wake up the next morning, I check my phone. I haven't in a while due to the crazy reactions to Wilmer and I's interview. I see that we are still a trending topic which surprises me although I should have expected it. 

I look at Wilmer's spot in the bed and see that he left me a note on his pillow. It reads, "Demi, I had to go to work this morning to finish with filming, but I promise I'll take time off after this. I'll be home at lunch and make sure that you and Lilly dress up... I have a surprise for you. Hug Lilly for me! I love you, Wilmer."

I smile to myself, then climb out of bed. I'm elated this morning, and I get dressed quickly, knowing that Lilly is probably awake and ready to try walking. I walk to her bedroom and open the door.

"Demi!" Lilly's lying on the floor, obviously in agonizing pain, crying.

"What's wrong?! Did you try walking?" I ask, rushing over to her and crouching beside her, running my fingers through her hair, gently.

"Yeah. It hurts so bad. I thought I was better!" she cries, her voice cracking.

"Well, Lilly, sometimes when things are healing, they can hurt. It's probably because you haven't walked for a while, so your leg isn't used to it. Do you want me to carry you downstairs?"

"Yes, please."

I pick her up and carry her to the living room before setting her down on the couch.

"How about I bring you some breakfast and we watch a movie?" I ask.

"Sure... Where's Wilmer?"

"He's at work for the morning, but he'll be back soon."

"Okay."

I pick out a movie and let the previews play while I assemble a fruit salad for breakfast. I'm really glad that Lilly got over her picky eating early-on. I carry the fruit to the living room and sit down beside Lilly to watch the movie.

---

Once the ending movie credits appear on the screen, I turn the TV off.

"Would you like to try walking again?" I ask.

"I'm not sure. It's gonna hurt."

"I know... but once you're used to walking again, then it won't hurt as bad."

"I guess I can try." She pushes herself up using the arm of the couch, then turns herself so her feet are hanging just above the floor.

I reach out and grab her arms to support her and help her stand up on her leg. She winces but takes a step and I help her walk until she acts more confident and the pain seems to fade. Once I let go of her arms, she keeps walking.

"Does it still hurt?" I ask her.

"A bit, but it's better."

"That's good because we have to go get you dressed up."

"Why?" she questions, taking a break from walking.

"Wilmer has a surprise for us."

---

I help Lilly get changed into a sundress featuring a colorful, floral pattern. It doesn't look too girly, but is absolutely perfect for her age and personality. She picked it out herself when we had gone shopping a while back. Once she's changed, I style her hair into two french braids and she is wearing a smile once I'm done.

"Thank you, Demi." 

"You're welcome. Now, I just have to get dressed, then we're ready."

Back in Wilmer and I's room, I change into a flowing top that matches Lilly's dress and some nice jeans. I don't do anything with my hair, noting the time, and head downstairs with Lilly to wait for Wilmer.

Wilmer comes just in time and looks very handsome in his nicer work clothes. He looks at me for a second before looking at our daughter.

"You look very pretty, Lilly," Wilmer says, kneeling down slightly to be at her level. He stands back up and looks at me. "You look beautiful," he whispers in my ear.

I can't help but smile watching our little family as Wilmer grabs Lilly's hand and we walk outside, a little slower than normal because of Lilly's ankle.

She climbs into the backseat of Wilmer's car and I get into the passenger seat beside him. "Where are we going?" I ask.

"It's still a surprise," he replies, starting the car.

We drive to the outskirts of LA and keep going until I barely recognize the area anymore. The trees become thicker and the roads smaller and less busy as we keep driving.

I open the window and stick my arm out, feeling the wind in my hair, surely messing it up, but I don't mind.

"Can I do that too?" Lilly asks from the backseat.

I reach over Wilmer's lap and press the button to lower her window. She laughs her contagious laugh as she sticks her face out into the wind. Her braids luckily, aren't messed up but even if they were, her happiness would make up for it.

Wilmer slows the car down. "Here we are."

We pull up to a tea house that I haven't been to since I was a teenager. Many weddings are held here because it's secluded and well landscaped.

"Where are we?" Lilly asks.

"This is a tea house. I haven't been here in years."

We all get out of the car.

"I was thinking," Wilmer says, "that we could take our first official family photos here. I hired a photographer."

I smile as Lilly runs through the grass to a creek. "That's a great idea," I tell him, kissing him quickly before following Lilly. "Come on!"

We spend some time allowing Lilly to explore before the photographer shows up and we start to take some photos. I can't wait to start putting them around our house; it will make it feel more like home to all three of us.

After the photographer leaves, saying he'll send us all the good photos, we head into the tea house to eat lunch.

Wilmer grabs my arm before I sit down beside Lilly. "I received a call from the agency that found Lilly at her uncle's house."

"What did they want?" I ask.

"I'm not sure. I didn't answer. They left a voicemail."

"Why don't we wait 'til we get home?"

"Sounds good."

I sit down beside Lilly, Wilmer across from her and we eat lunch as a family.

------

Sorry it's taken me so long to update. I hope you enjoy this chapter!