Chapter 46

Demi's POV

When Wilmer comes back around midnight, I'm still awake. He tries to talk to me, but I pretend as though I'm sleeping and can't hear him. I'm sure he can tell that I'm faking, but I don't care anymore.

When I wake up, Wilmer has left the bedroom already. I hear the girls chatting with him downstairs. I know I can't avoid him for much longer, but I want to for now, so I stay in bed for a while longer. Once I can't procrastinate any longer, I get out of bed, get dressed, and make my way downstairs.

The girls are happily talking with Wilmer about his day yesterday, seemingly unfazed by last night's events. They're eating cereal and Wilmer is having a protein shake.

"Good morning," Wilmer says.

I don't reply.

"Demi!" Nevvy jumps up and comes over to hug me.

"How was your sleep, Nevvy?" I ask.

"Good."

I sit down at the end of the table instead of beside Wilmer like I usually do. Then, I make myself a bowl of cereal and eat quietly, listening to the girls talking with each other. Wilmer seems hurt, but he hurt me first, and I'm not ready to forgive him yet.

While the girls are playing in the basement, Wilmer shows me the official papers we received to confirm Neveah's adoption. We plan to go out for supper to celebrate and make a pact to act as though everything is normal.

"This doesn't mean I forgive you," is how I ended that conversation.

---

The next day, Natalie comes over to play with the girls. Wilmer leaves for work, so, even though I was supposed to have a meeting with my team, I stay home with the girls.

In the evening, once Wilmer is back, I set up a video chat with my team. We talk about promoting my album, booking appearances, and planning a tour. Even though I don't want to leave the girls, my team wants to send me on a European tour after a North American tour.

Once our chat is over, I contact the dance studio that Natalie goes to. This is so that we can figure out how it will work with the girls starting late.

---

By Wednesday, Wilmer and I are still not back to normal.  We've been arguing almost consistently, but we try our hardest to not let the girls hear anything. Wilmer has planned to audition for even more roles, and my management wants me to go on tour. It's hard balancing work and family; I think it's finally catching up to us.

That evening, Lilly has her first dance class. I stay at the studio during the class, and I watch the class for a short amount of time, happy when I see Lilly talking with another girl.

Wilmer and I argue when we get back home. Neveah is at a friend's house, but I still worry that Lilly could hear us.

"I need to go pick up Neveah," I cut into our argument.

I slam the door a little too loud when I exit the house, sighing to myself as I go to pick up Neveah.

Lilly's in her room with Wilmer when we return. Neveah hurries to the room quickly as to not miss any part of the book Wilmer's reading to them.

I call Raine to ask about Lizzy once I'm alone in the studio.

"She's getting released on Monday," Raine says. "She's getting a lot better. Do you want to see her next week sometime?"

"I would if it's alright with her," I reply. I'm happy to hear that she's recovering.

"It will be. I'll ask her on Monday. Thanks for calling, Demi; it's nice to see that someone other than myself cares about her."

"It's really no problem," I say. 

"See you."

---

The next morning, I wake up extra early. Wilmer's still asleep in our bed, but as I start to get out of bed, he wakes up.

"Good morning," he says.

I don't reply.

"Are you still ignoring me?"

"I haven't forgiven you yet," I reply, and then I leave the bedroom.

I drive Neveah to school, and I help Lilly with her schoolwork before her tutor arrives. Then, I head into the music room to practice for the upcoming tour that I still am not sure I want to go on.

Time has always passed quickly while I'm singing and today is no exception. I hear a knock on the door just after 12 o'clock, meaning I've spent a few hours hidden away in the music room.

I step out of the room to see that Wilmer was the one knocking.

"I made lunch," he says.

"Is Lilly eating already?" I ask.

"I dropped her off at your parents' once her tutor left."

"Why?"

"Demi," he says, "I really need to apologize. It's easier for that to happen if the girls aren't home for a while. Do you want to come eat?"

"Fine." I give in.

Wilmer and I head into the dining room where the table is set, nicely for lunch, with a fresh stack of pancakes sitting in the middle. I sit down across from Wilmer; he reaches his hand out to touch mine for a second before I pull away and put some pancakes on my plate.

"I'm really sorry for saying that your career is less important than mine and that you would leave the girls for your job. Neither of those things are true," Wilmer says. "I know how much you love them, but I also know how much your fans mean to you; you don't want to let them down."

"I forgive you, Wilmer," I reply. "Thanks for apologizing, and I'm sorry I got mad at you too. I was just really upset with what you said, but I do respect your career as well. You deserve to be allowed to audition and not worry about me being busy."

"I was thinking about the tour that your team wants you to go on. Is there any way we could turn it into something small that the girls could join you on?" he asks.

I try to compromise. "I was thinking about doing just a few dates that are more spread apart and all in the USA. The concerts could be live-streamed for non-Americans, and of course the girls and maybe even my parents or sisters could come with us as well. You could come too, if you're not busy. I'm just not sure if my team would agree to that."

"Figure out where you'd want the concerts to be and tell them. I'm sure they'll understand."

"I hope so. And if it works, I would pick LA, Dallas, and New York. The girls have never been to Texas or New York."

"Talk to your team about it, and tell me how it goes."

"What about your movie?"

"I'm thinking I'l turn it down. I would love to go on tour with you and the girls if this all works out," he says.

"You should do the movie, Wilmer."

"Only if you want, and I will come with you to at least one location."

"If it works out," I mention.

------------

This chapter has actually been ready for a while, I just really wanted to publish a lot on my birthday, so I saved it for today. I'm finally 17! Thanks for reading; all feedback is appreciated.