Chapter 33

(The media is sort of how I imagine Lilly looks. The room is not meant to be hers, this is just what she kind of looks like.)

Demi's POV

After the girls are sleeping in Lilly's room, Wilmer and I talk about what we should do next. The most reasonable answer is to report Nevvy's parents, but I can't promise they'll do anything and her parents could come take her back without any proof. I wish there was an easier solution to this type of problem.

The doorbell rings, although it's 9 pm and we didn't invite anyone over.

Wilmer and I walk downstairs and answer the door to see the girl that Lilly's uncle got pregnant standing outside our door with a backpack, tears running down her face.

"What are you doing here?" Wilmer asks.

"I just thought we could get our meeting over with, since I'm leaving tomorrow after lunch."

"Where are you going?" I invite her inside and close the door.

"I'm going on a trip with my friend; we planned it a long time ago. My parents kicked me out, so I thought maybe I could stay the night and get this meeting over with."

"It's fine," I say. "You can stay in our guest room tonight and we'll talk tomorrow morning."

"Are you sure?"

"Of course."

I lead the girl upstairs; although I am sure Wilmer isn't happy about my decision, I have to help this girl. Once she's somewhat settled into the room, I go back with Wilmer to our bedroom.

"Why did you do that?" he asks me once the door is closed.

"We can't just turn her away... not if we want her baby," I reply.

"Don't you think we could just be satisfied with Lilly?" 

"Not when there's another baby that isn't wanted and we have access to. I thought you wanted this."

"I do, I just don't trust her. Right now, I'm having a hard time trusting anyone that's not our family."

I sit down on the bed beside Wilmer. "I get it, but if this is our life for now, we'll get through it and hopefully it will pass." 

"I guess it'll be fine for one night, but we need to convince her parents to let her move back in. Is she really that young?"

"It's just sad. But thank you for coming around," I reply. "Now what should we do about Neveah?"

"I still think we should call Child Family Services and tell them."

"Okay, then, you call them. I am not breaking my promise to the girls."

He nods and picks up his cell phone.

---

The next morning, we wake up early. Today is a big day: Child Family Services is going to talk with Nevvy's parents before it's time for them to pick her up, and we're talking with Lizzy this morning about her baby.

I get dressed quickly and tell Lilly and Nevvy that they can watch a movie in Wilmer and I's bedroom while we talk with Lizzy. Once the girls are settled with a movie, Wilmer and I go to talk with Lizzy.

"So, have you thought about it?" I ask her.

She nods. "I have and I know I don't want it and my parents definitely don't either. Plus, I've heard the heartbeat... I can't just kill it now."

"So... what were you thinking?"

"I was hoping to stay with my parents but they kicked me out before they could hear the whole story, so now I'll be staying with my friend after our trip. I don't know how adoption works, but I was thinking we could get most of that ready beforehand," she says.

"How far along are you?" Wilmer asks.

"4 months."

"I have a proposition for you," I tell her. "We'll come to all your appointments with you and you can come see the baby after it's born, if you'd like. Wilmer and I can talk to an adoption agency with you as soon as we contact them."

"That sounds good," she replies. "Thanks for doing this."

Once Lizzy is gone, we go get the girls from our bedroom and eat breakfast together. I don't know how we'll tell Lilly about adopting a new baby, her cousin, technically. And what if Nevvy's parents aren't allowed to keep Nevvy? We certainly can't let her live in a foster home. I had hoped that after Lilly's uncle was arrested that life could be more normal, but so far that isn't happening.

Wilmer's phone rings and he answers. "Hello?"

I wait until the call is over, then ask him who it was.

"Nevvy's parents." He grabs my hand and brings me to the living room. "They know it was us. They were cleared and want to get Lilly taken from us."

"They don't have any proof," I say.

"She is hurt, though. I'm just hoping that she won't get taken away."

"It will be fine." I hug Wilmer before we go back to the dining room.

Nevvy's mom comes to pick her up and she goes back home. I just hope that the inspection brought some sense into her parents, because I don't think I ever want to see them again, even to know what's going on.

Lilly seems sad that her sister is gone, but luckily goes back to practicing piano in the music room while Wilmer and I chat about our plans for the future. If we're reported, there's a chance we can't adopt Lizzy's baby. This situation seems so hopeless.