Chapter 16

Demi's POV

The next morning, I wake up earlier than usual to help Lilly get ready for her first day of school. I can tell that she's really nervous. I hope for her sake that everything goes well.

Wilmer asked if he could take a little time off filming to help me bring her to school, so we both get in the car, Lilly in the backseat. I can't tell if she's absolutely terrified or hoping she didn't have to go. I wish it didn't feel like we're forcing her.

We pull up to the school and I take in a deep breath. It may have been a long time ago, but seeing any large school reminds me of when I was bullied. I regret signing her up for school. What if she gets bullied and struggles with the things I did?

I grab Lilly's hand as we walk to the building and lead her to the office, Wilmer directly behind us.

"Hello," the secretary greets. "Is this Lillian Lovato Valderrama?"

"Yes," I say.

"We'll make sure she's in good hands," she continues.

"Bye Lillian."

"Bye," our sweet girl whispers.

I gulp past a wave of fear and follow Wilmer back out to the car.

"Did we do the right thing?" I ask him warily.

"She'll be fine," he assures.

"Okay. I hope so."

I drive and drop Wilmer off at his set before heading back home. I don't have anything but a few sessions in the studio for the next few months. My Lovatics understand... besides, they all wanted Wilmer and I to have children anyway.

Back at the house, I go up to Lilly's room and look at the sizes on the one extra pair of clothes that she has. Her sizes are much smaller than what's normal for her age, so I just had to be sure. Then, I open up my laptop and find some neutral clothes that are similar to her old ones to order, one size bigger than her others. She can't just have two outfits.

As I'm making lunch for myself, my cell phone rings. I rush to answer it.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Demi?" The second that I hear Lilly's voice shake, my mind shoots to the negative.

"What's wrong?" Wilmer and I had given Lilly a phone so that we could always see where she is and so that she could call us in an emergency. Other than teaching her how to use it to call us and listen to music, she'd barely used it.

"Can you come?"

"Of course. I'll be right there."

"Please?" I hear Lilly's whisper although I don't think it was intended for me.

"Where are you?" I ask.

"Bathroom."

With my phone still next to my ear, I grab my purse and quickly get in the car. I don't think I've ever driven so terribly in my life.

When I pull up to the school, I run inside and to the closest bathrooms to the first grade classes where I had met her teacher a week earlier. I open the door.

"Lilly?" I call out.

"Demi!" Lilly races out of a stall, her face streaked red from tears.

"Are you okay, baby?"

"Yeah."

"Let's go home," I say.

I stop in the office on the way out. "I'm sorry, but Lillian will not be returning," I tell the secretary.

Lilly buries her head in my shirt.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes," I reply.

I take Lilly outside, help her into the backseat and drive home. I promise myself that I will not let her cry like that again. No matter what happened in her past, I need to protect her now and forever.