Chapter 44

Demi's POV

After the craziness of being sick and visiting Lizzy in the hospital is now over, I plan to catch up on some of the interviews that I missed. Today, I will be on Ellen to both be interviewed and perform. I can't bring the girls with me because they both have school (Lilly still from home), so Wilmer is staying with them while I'm gone.

I'm excited. My new single has been doing very well on the charts and its album is set to be released in a month. Sure, it can feel a bit stressful at times, but once I release this album, I'm taking a well-needed break from music to focus on my family.

"Please welcome Demi Lovato!"

I smile as I start to perform my single. Performing always gives me such a rush, especially now that it's new music.

After my performance, I walk in to get interviewed by Ellen. Her show is one of my favorites to be interviewed on, so I was happy when she let me reschedule so soon after cancelling.

"So, Demi," Ellen says, "a lot's happened since the last time I saw you."

"I know!" I smile. "My single's finally out..."

"And Lilly performed with you on GMA. She's absolutely adorable."

"She is... And we also adopted her younger sister."

"That's great. So how are the girls?"

"Well, school's started, so they're a bit busier now. Plus, I've been teaching them both some more of my songs on piano, so hopefully they'll be performing with me again sometime."

"I would love to meet them someday."

"You'll get to," I say. "I promise."

"So... new music?"

"My new album will be released at the start of October, but first I have a few pop-up concerts around Los Angeles."

"Well, good luck with everything."

"Thank you."

---

I book up my weekend with studio sessions to confirm everything on my album and add some last minor details. Wilmer still hasn't heard back from his auditions, so he'll be staying home with the girls. If there wasn't such a high risk of paparazzi, I would bring the girls with me.

"Demi!" I hear Wilmer call as I'm sitting with the girls in the piano room.

"You keep practicing," I tell them. Then, I leave the room to talk with Wilmer.

"I got a callback," he says.

"When?"

"For today, at 2 o'clock."

"I'm in the studio then," I say, trying to stay calm. "I told you that my mom is busy, so you need to stay home."

"You've been the one going out more lately. Can't I try to get another job for once?"

"I'm not trying to stop you!"

"Well, that's sure what it feels like you're doing! Why would you want to release a new album so soon after adopting anyway?"

"It was planned long in advance, and you know that," I argue.

"And you couldn't postpone it?"

"I'm sorry, Wilmer. But this is how it's going to happen!"

"This job is very important to me, Demi!"

"And mine isn't?" I question. "I'm planning on taking a break after all the promoting is done. Couldn't you have waited until then?"