Chapter 11

Back to Lillian's POV

A few days after the last time I went out with Demi and Wilmer, Miss. Carrie tells me that I have another appointment. This time, though, she says it's different. I won't be going to the doctor's, but to some person called a counselor. I'm not looking forward to it, but she says I'll probably get to see Demi and Wilmer after, so today won't be too bad.

Instead of Miss. Carrie driving me, one of the ladies who sometimes works at the house, brings me. Miss. Carrie says she has to stay back since there is no school today.

We arrive at a strange looking building that looks less strict, like a doctor's, and almost more fun. The lady, Mrs. Raine, walks me inside the building. The first room looks very similar to the first room in the doctor's, only there are a lot of pictures on the walls and quite a few kids there too.

We sit down in chairs until my name is called. Mrs. Raine says she will stay waiting for me in the chair. I don't trust her; what if she leaves? But, I follow the stranger anyway.

She brings me into a room with a lot of items that Demi had said were "toys" when we were at the museum. There are also pictures on the walls and a few chairs. The room is very messy and I know that Uncle Mark would have wanted Nevvy and I to clean it up.

I walk over to the first toy, pick it up, and put it in a basket with some other toys.

"Are you cleaning up?"

I turn around and see a different lady standing in the doorway. I nod and move to put yet another toy where it should be.

"Why don't you come sit down with me?" she asks.

I slowly walk over to one of chairs close to her, but not too close, and sit down. The chair isn't very comfortable, but she told me to sit, and I don't want to get hurt.

"What's your name?" the strange lady questions. When I don't reply, she says, "My name is Lisa."

"Lillian," I whisper.

"Okay, Lillian, how old are you?" 

There is no way that she heard me say my name. She must have known it before; I don't like her at all.

Although I don't know what it means, Miss. Carrie did say my age, so I reply, quietly, "Nine."

"Can you tell me something that you like?" she asks.

I think for a little. "Blankets," I reply.

"I like blankets, too!" she exclaims, a little to loud for my taste. "Do you like music?"

I shrug my shoulders. I don't know what music is, although I'm sure she'll tell me.

"Can I play you some music?" she asks.

I shrug my shoulders and she walks over to a weird looking box and presses a button on it.

The sound that comes out of the box is very pretty. The lady says that it is piano music and that someone plays an instrument called a piano to make the noise coming out of the machine. I don't know what a piano is, but I do know that I want to be able to make that beautiful sound.

After we've listened to music for a while, I am brought back to where Mrs. Raine is still waiting for me and she drives me back to the house. It's surprising, but I actually enjoyed the appointment.

Mrs. Raine brings me inside and to the meeting room where Demi and Wilmer are sitting with Miss. Carrie.

"Hi, Lillian," Wilmer says. 

I wave at him and Demi.

"Lillian," Miss. Carrie starts, "are you up to visiting Demi and Wilmer's house today?"

I nod. I don't want to be here with all the other kids.

"Okay, then. Have fun!"

I follow Demi and Wilmer to their car and this time Wilmer straps me in. I can feel myself shaking, but I'm not too scared. I don't think he'll hurt me with Demi here. Still, you can never be too sure.

For the first time in a long time, I actually am looking forward to something.

---

Again, if you'd like to answer, I have 2 questions for you: What do you think motivates Lillian (money, love, etc.)? Also, what is Lillian's strongest personality trait? (These are things I am struggling to find in her.)

Next Update: Wednesday