Chapter 9

It has been four days since the last time I saw Demi and the man (whose name, I learned, is Wilmer). Every day has been average since then. I sleep for some of the night and pretend that I'm still sleeping while all the others get ready to go to school. Then, I help Miss. Carrie clean the house, so that I won't have to go to school, and I eat a can of stew on the bed while the other kids eat supper before going back to bed.

Today, though, is different. Demi and Wilmer are coming to visit again. I think that he is less scary than he seemed, but I still wouldn't trust him if Demi wasn't there. She's very nice, although I don't know if I should like her or not.

Miss. Carrie comes up once the other kids have left for school.

"You do know that you will have to start school sometime," she says.

I shake my head to signal that I don't want to.

"If you can't prove that you're ready, it will be very hard for Demi and Wilmer to be able to adopt you."

I shrug my shoulders. Either way I'm just living. It's not like it really matters where I am or who I'm with. Other than Nevvy; I miss Nevvy. I don't even know where she is right now. Miss. Carrie said that I would most likely see her in school, but I already know that I won't be going.

She looks at me and says, "Ever since you came here, you have worn the same clothes. Sure, you wash them by yourself every week, but I think they're getting too small and worn out. Do you want me to get you another shirt and jeans?"

I think for a little. I really don't want to wear new clothes because I like my normal ones, but I nod. I don't want Demi thinking I'm weirder than I am.

Soon later, I am wearing a shirt that looks like blood and scratchy pants, Miss. Carrie calls jeans. They look the same as the ones I was wearing before; they just feel different. Miss. Carrie made me take a bath before I changed clothes and she said that my old clothes would be washed for when I get back.

Once my hair dries, it feels softer than normal. I actually feel pretty good and am looking forward to seeing where Demi and Wilmer will take me. I sit in the meeting room while I wait for them to come pick me up. I wish that  I wasn't excited because I don't want them to let me down, but I actually can't wait.

Miss. Carrie comes into the room to tell me that they're here and she waits for me to tie my shoes before we go to the entrance.

"Hi, Lillian," Demi says.

I really want to say 'hi' back so they know that I am glad to see them, but the word gets caught in my throat. I wave instead and smile a little. It feels weird; I'm not used to smiling.

She holds out her hand and I grab it with less hesitation than I would have liked. Wilmer is sitting in the car, as I see when we get outside, and Demi straps me into the backseat just like last time before sitting in her own seat.

"What do you want to do today, Lillian?" Wilmer asks.

I shrug my shoulders. I really don't know much about anything, so as long as it involves something fun, then I don't care what it is.

"What about the zoo?" Demi asks him.

"Do you want to go see animals?" Wilmer turns to look at me.

Do I? I don't even know if I've ever seen any animals other than mice and ants. That sure wouldn't be very interesting. Cautiously, I nod.

"Okay. Then, let's get going."

The drive is longer than it was last time, but I don't mind. I actually like driving with Demi and Wilmer in the front seat. I listen to them talking so that I can get to know them better. Sure, I don't know everything that they're saying, but I try my best to understand.

When we stop, we aren't at a building, but there are a lot of buildings and stuff outside, too. We park and Demi helps me get out of the car before we walk to the first building. I am pretty excited to get to spend more time with them.

---

Next Update: Wednesday