Chapter 20

Demi's POV

After Lilly had a few nights in a row where she woke up screaming in the middle of the night, I decided that I should continue to take her to the child counselor. I had thought once she was talking a bit more and was used to Wilmer and I that she would be fine, but it turns out I was wrong. Her uncle must have done some horrible things to her in order for her to still be reacting this way.

After her tutoring session, I drive her to the colorful building. Lilly knows what this place is; it's the place that introduced her to music, and the place where she talks about her feelings. She seems nervous going into the room with the counselor while I stay behind, but I try not to let it bother me. I sit in the waiting room the entire time, just in case something goes wrong.

Wilmer recently said that he's considered taking a break from work after he's done filming this season of his show. He wants to get to know Lilly better and to spend more time as a family, which sounds great to me. 

I power my phone on and scroll through Instagram. Ever since Wilmer and I adopted, we've been on the news. Luckily, only one picture of Lilly is online and it is from when we took her to the Children's Museum the second time. She still doesn't know that Wilmer and I are famous; I don't know if she would even understand the concept.

The door that Lilly has disappeared behind half an hour ago opens. I turn off my phone and place it beside me, standing up when I see tears streaming down Lilly's face. The counselor is still in the room, so I ask Lilly what's wrong instead.

"M-my parents... are de-dead," she whimpers.

Although I have a feeling that she at least suspected this all along, it seems as if the reality of the situation only hit her now.

I still don't know how old she was when her parents died or what she's all gone through, but I understand that she's had a hard life and it may take her a long time to come to terms with it all. I wish that someone so young didn't have to suffer as much as she has.

There isn't much I can do to help her in this moment, so I just squeeze her tight in a hug and let her sob into my shirt. With the amount that her entire body is shaking, I wish that I could just take her pain. The sobs in her throat bring me physical pain.

The counselor steps into the waiting room.

"She's had a tough session, but I hope she can come again next week. We're finally getting somewhere," she informs.

"Okay," I mouth. I slowly lift Lilly off the ground and hold her close to my chest, walking to the car with her in my arms. 

When we make it back home, Lilly has fallen asleep, probably from the pure exhaustion of crying for so long. I lay her down on the couch in the living room and sit on the love seat watching her. She seems so peaceful and innocent, only that's not the case when she's awake. 

Marissa had asked me a week ago if I would ever regret not adopting a baby instead. I had answered that I baby might have been easier, but getting this chance to save a life will be completely worth it.

I call Wilmer on my cell phone to inform him on everything that happened with Lilly. He comes up with the great idea of finding her sister, someone she could relate to, someone who's familiar with her. Although I've never met her sister, I know that she's younger and after I hang up with Wilmer, I call the orphanage that Lilly had stayed in for some information.

"So, you want to help Lillian to find her sister?" Miss. Carrie from the center asks.

"Yes. I just think it would really benefit her."

"Well, I wouldn't normally give out information like this, but Neveah was adopted by a family in Bakersfield. I can email you the address as long as you keep it to yourself."

"I promise," I say, grateful for the information. I wanted Lilly to be happy, and that means that I will do anything for her.

Wilmer comes back home from work while Lilly is still sleeping. I really don't want to wake her up, since I'm sure that she's both mentally and physically exhausted.

"I got the address of her sister," I tell him. "I think I'll call them after lunch and ask about letting the girls meet up sometime."

"That sounds great, love," Wilmer replies.

I look over at Lilly as I hear a groan. Her eyes slowly open as she wakes up.

"Are you ready for lunch?" I ask her.

She nods.

We let Lilly help in the kitchen for the first time, making macaroni and cheese. It's one of her favorites, and although I'm not a huge fan, I still make it for her sake.

After lunch, Lilly is excited to show Wilmer her new song on piano. So, while they're in the music room, I call the people that adopted Lilly's sister.

"Where would you like them to meet?" the lady, Macie, asks.

"I was thinking we could bring them both to the beach someday... as long as you're alright with it," I reply.

"I guess that could work. Maybe next Saturday?"

"Sounds good."

Wilmer and Lilly come back into the living room and I say "bye" then hang up. I want meeting with her sister to be a surprise.

"How do you feel about going to the beach next Saturday?" I question.

"Really?" Lilly exclaims. "I've never been."

"Then it sounds like a plan."