Chapter 5

I wake up when I hear the other kids are back. Nevvy is talking with another girl and I want to tell her not to. I feel like I'm losing my baby sister.

Instead of going to join the others, I pull the blanket over my head and try to sleep again. I do not trust any of them.

---

Someone is touching me. I sit up and scream.

"It's just me, Lillian," Miss. Carrie says and I stop screaming. "It's suppertime."

I follow her downstairs to where the other girls are and sit down at the edge of the bench. Nevvy is sitting between two other girls. She seems to like them, but I can't.

"Your sister's fitting in," Miss. Carrie says. "I think you should make a friend too."

What's a friend? I don't want it if it means I have to talk to people. I shake my head.

The food is on a plate. Some of it looks mushy and gross, the other parts look unsafe. I don't eat it. I only drink the cup of water beside my spot. Then I go back up to the room with beds and sleep again. It's not dark yet, so it's not as scary.

---

I don't know how much time has passed since we got here, but it's been too long. It doesn't look like we'll be leaving soon.

Nevvy only talks to me when we're alone, which is almost never. She likes talking to the other girls and asking Miss. Carrie questions. I don't understand it. Sometimes people come here and sit in a room with soft benches downstairs to meet other kids. Never me, but I don't want to anyway.

One day, Nevvy is called into the room and she talks with new people. She likes them and Miss. Carrie said that they liked her, because they took her. Nevvy is gone! I hate everything!

All I really do is sleep and lay in bed. My stomach growls, but the food here looks gross. People try to talk to me, but I ignore them. Life sucks.

---

Nevvy has been gone for what Miss. Carrie calls a week. I don't know what that is, but it is very long. I miss my sister.

"Lillian," Miss. Carrie says. I'm sitting in the bed. "There is someone here who wants a very special 9 year old girl."

I shake my head.

"Brooke, Sarah, MacKenzie, go downstairs to the meeting room," Miss. Carrie orders. "You are coming too."

But I refuse and thankfully, Miss. Carrie leaves to be with the other girls. One of them will probably be gone by tomorrow, but that's alright with me. The only one I cared about is already gone.