Chapter 49

Lilly's POV

After singing on stage with Demi, I realized that I had no need to be nervous. The crowd at her concert made me feel special, and Demi didn't get upset at my nerves, giving me as much time as I needed to prepare to go on stage.

A few days after the concert, I have my last dance class before we leave on our two week tour/vacation. I say goodbye to all my friends in my dance class, and they congratulate me on my performance with Demi. It makes me so happy that they thought my performance was good.

The last Saturday before we leave is Nevvy's 7th birthday. Earlier in the week, Demi had helped me pick out a gift for her. I've never given Nevvy a birthday gift before. Demi, Wilmer, and I also planned her party. Demi and Wilmer's friends and families are going to be at the party, as well as Nevvy's friends from her school and dance class. Not too long ago, I would have been really nervous about all those people, but I know most of them, and I'm less anxious than I was before.

Two days after Nevvy's birthday party, Demi, Wilmer, Nevvy, and I leave for Texas. Although it is a pretty long drive, we're not flying to Texas. I'm excited to see where Demi grew up and to play piano for another one of Demi's concerts.

Demi brings us on tours around her hometown every day other than the day of the concert. And when that day arrives, I'm not surprised that I feel nervous again.

"You're going to do great," Demi reassures me. "You always do well, and everyone loves you."

It is definitely true that Demi's fans love Nevvy and me. It's weird to hear people call out my name from the crowd, and it always makes my face blush.

After the concert, all four of us go swimming at the hotel. Even though it's late and we're all tired, it's a vacation, so Demi and Wilmer say we can do things we wouldn't normally do at home.

There's a twisty red slide going into the pool, and I watched from my spot in the shallow end and Demi, Nevvy, and Wilmer all take turns going down it. Nevvy can almost touch the bottom of the pool at the end, so it's not a very deep pool, but I'm still too nervous to try the slide out. That is until Demi goes down the slide with me. Once I get over the initial fear, Nevvy and I race each other to the top of the slide each time.

One thing I don't fully take into account is how slippery the stairs are when wet, and I gasp when Nevvy's foot slips out from under her and she lands, hard, on a cement step.

I hear her cry of pain before I fully realize what's going on. Then, I see blood on the stairs, and I run back down the stairs to where Demi and Wilmer are relaxing in the hot tub.

"Nevvy fell on the stairs!" My voice is loud and panicked.

Both Demi and Wilmer get out of the hot tub and make their way to Nevvy quickly (although they don't run). Wilmer carries Nevvy down the stairs, and Demi and I follow him back to our hotel room.

Nevvy cries when Demi treats her bleeding knees while she's sitting on the toilet.

"It'll stop hurting soon," Demi soothes.

"I want it to stop now!" Nevvy sounds very upset.

"I know, Sweetheart." As Demi finishes putting bandages on Nevvy's knees, she picks her up and carries her to the bed that I'm sharing with her. "I love you, Neveah," I hear Demi whisper when she lays her down.

"I love you, Mom." I barely hear the final word in Nevvy's response. The word that makes Demi start crying; only I'm pretty sure it's happy tears.

"And I love you too, Dad," she says when Wilmer comes to say goodnight to her.

I hug Demi and Wilmer as well, leaving out the names that I'm still too scared to call them before getting into the bed beside Nevvy and falling asleep.

---

The next day, we leave for New York. Wilmer will drive the car back to Los Angeles because he has to work, but Demi, Nevvy, and I bring our suitcases to the airport. Nevvy and I have never been on a plane, at least not that we can remember. Nevvy is excited about going on a plane, but I am very nervous.

Demi notices my nerves once I'm sitting between her and Nevvy on the plane.

"Do you want to hold my hand?" Demi asks.

I nod and grasp her hand tightly in mine.

When we arrive in New York, it's misting. Demi, Nevvy, and I head to our hotel and get it set up before going to get lunch.

The rest of our time in New York consists of doing touristy things and putting on the concert. I start to miss Wilmer by the second day, and I can't stop thinking about when I should call Demi and Wilmer "Mom" and "Dad."

On October 24th, we get on another plane to go back to Los Angeles. Although we loved our vacation, both Nevvy and I are excited to be back home. Nevvy can't wait to tell all her friends at school and dance classes about our trip, and I can't wait to see Wilmer again. I'm sure Nevvy misses Wilmer too, but she certainly doesn't show it.

We arrive back in Los Angeles at suppertime and arrive home to Wilmer making fettuccini Alfredo for supper.

"I missed you!" I say, running to Wilmer. When he kneels down to hug me, I whisper, "Can I start calling you dad?"

Wilmer, or Dad, seems a little shocked but also very happy at my request, and he hugs me even tighter before returning to making supper.

---

That night, after Wilmer reads to me, I say, "I love you, Dad," for the first time. It makes me so happy, and it makes Wilmer tear up. I'm very happy that he's my dad.

When Demi comes into my room to say goodnight, I whisper, "I love you... Mom."

My words make Demi cry, and she hugs me so tight that I'm surprised she doesn't break one of my bones.

"I'm so happy you said that," Demi says, smiling widely.

"Well, you are my mom, so I thought I could start saying it," is my response.

When I lay in bed that night, I feel happier than I did on vacation. Now, I'm completely sure as to just how much we are a family. My mom, dad, Nevvy, and I.

------------

Sorry for the almost 2 months without a chapter; I was struggling with how to start ending the story, but now that I know, the last few chapters should be published faster. Thank you so much to everyone who has read this story and helped it reach 50k reads!