Chapter 28

Lilly's POV

After my counselling session, I knew that I should tell Demi and Wilmer about my Uncle Mark and how my life used to be like. The counselor said that telling them things about me and being myself will make me feel closer to them and I definitely want that. I love Demi and Wilmer, and I love that they let me be myself.

I can soon start walking on my ankle again. I can't wait because then I won't feel like I'm useless anymore. This past week, though, has taught me that it's sometimes okay to rely on other people.

My tutor comes in the next morning to teach me some new math. She says that I'm already up to grade 2 level work, which means I'm almost caught up with my age. After she leaves, Demi teaches me the start of a new song on piano.

"Do you think I'm good enough?" I ask, taking a break from playing.

"Lilly, of course you're good enough. You're learning really fast," Demi says.

"Well, then, can I start learning singing and guitar, too?"

"If you want. But, Lilly, it's better if you don't learn everything new at the same time. Why don't we just stick with piano and one other thing?"

"Singing," I say. "Can you teach me singing, too?"

"Sure, but we don't have time today. Will you be okay with going to my family's house for some time today."

"Will you be there?"

"Wilmer and I are going to buy your birthday present, so we're hoping you could stay there without us for a bit."

"Okay." I wish that they were staying with me. Now that I'm finally getting used to Demi and Wilmer, they're making me do things without them. I can't see how a present is that important.

Demi and Wilmer drop me off at Demi's family's house after lunch. Sure, I like her mom, and Maddie is nice, but I wish that I could just spend more time with Demi and Wilmer instead.

"What would you like to do, Lilly?" Maddie asks.

"I don't know." I look down at the floor.

"Too bad you have crutches. Um... do you want to watch a movie?"

"Can it be funny?" I ask.

"Sure."

Maddie helps me get to the living room and she shows me the cover of a few different movies.

"You can pick one," I say.

"Okay. This is one of my favorites."

The afternoon spent with Maddie is okay. The movie was funny, but in my opinion, funny movies are better to watch with Demi and Wilmer.

When Demi and Wilmer come to her family's house after shopping, they say that we're staying for supper. I sit between Demi and Wilmer while we eat supper, but by the time we're done eating, I feel more than ready to leave. I think Demi can tell, and we go back home right away.

"Was your afternoon fun?" Wilmer asks once we're sitting in the living room at home.

"Yeah," I reply. "Maddie watched a funny movie with me."

"That sounds great!" Demi says. "Remember, tomorrow you can start walking again as long as you keep on the tensor band."

"I know. Do you think it'll hurt?"

"Maybe a little, but I'm sure it'll get better right away."

Demi and Wilmer talk with me for a while longer, then they help me get ready for bed. I've started to notice that the scars on my skin are fading away. I hope that one day they will completely disappear.

"Can you read with me?" I ask Wilmer.

"Sure, do you want Demi to read too?" he questions.

"If she wants to, but Demi already plays piano with me. Reading can be your thing with me," I say, hoping not to hurt her feelings.

"That sounds nice." Demi smiles. "Goodnight, Lilly. I love you." She leaves the room.

I really want to tell Demi and Wilmer that I love them too, but the words always get stuck in my throat. I do love them, I just don't want to get to used to this. What if they stop loving me or this all goes away?

"What do you want to read?" Wilmer asks.

"Can we read an animal book?"

"Sure."

I sleep well at night, content with the day and my time spent with Demi and Wilmer.

---

The next morning, I wake up and swing my legs over the edge of my bed. I know that I can walk again today, but I'm scared it will hurt. I take in a deep breath, then place my good foot on the floor, steadying it before hovering my injured foot above the ground.

I rest my foot on the ground, not putting any weight on it before pushing off from my bed to stand. I've gotten so used to standing on one leg that my injured foot isn't even touching the ground. I know I should try taking a step. Although I'm scared, I cautiously take a step with my bad foot.

"Ow!" I squeal as pain shoots through my ankle. It hurts so bad that I feel like I could throw up. I try taking another step, but instead fall to the ground.

A few salty tears drip down my cheeks. I thought I was better; why does my leg still hurt so bad?