Chapter 12

During the drive to Demi and Wilmer's house, we pass a lot of fancy houses. Their house is fancy too. When we pull up, they have to press some buttons to open the gate around the whole house and yard. Their yard is big as well. I know it's crazy, but I can kind of see myself living here.

Wilmer helps me out of the backseat and, surprisingly, I'm okay with it. He doesn't seem to bad, but neither did Jake. We walk up to the house and Demi opens the door.

Inside the house, everything is beautiful and fancy. Nothing is super messy and everything is properly organized. There are many photos on the wall. In most of them, I can recognize either Demi, Wilmer, or both and it helps to show me more of what they are like.

Demi and Wilmer watch me as I look around their house. There are stairs near the kitchen and huge living room. I can't believe that they actually live in such a big house.

It's as if they're unsure what to do with me, now that I'm here. They wouldn't need to do much,  maybe just show me around. I don't understand the reason why, but I'm not scared to be here, in a new place.

I decided that I guess I do trust both Demi and Wilmer, although people do change. Though, maybe, if I don't mess everything up, I can keep them from turning on me.

I remember what happened at my appointment. "Do you have music?" I ask.

"Sure," Demi replies, looking surprised. "What kind do you want?"

I didn't know that there were different kinds. Along with that, I am still shocked at how I easily I had spoken. Before this, I had said practically nothing to them.

"Piano," I say, now much quieter. I'm sure they're judging my voice or even just the fact that I actually am talking to them.

"Would you like to come see our music room?" Demi questions. "We have a piano."

I nod, close to excited. Maybe she can help me learn to make the beautiful music that I heard at the appointment.

Following Demi and Wilmer, we make our way through the living room and to a door at the end of a hall. Wilmer opens the door. The room looks incredibly cool and interesting. I don't really know what most things are, but I would love to learn. I can feel my face light up; I think I'm actually happy.

I take a step onto the different floor of the room after Demi.

She walks over to a large, weirdly shaped, black object near the center of the room. The object is beautiful too.

"This is our piano," Demi says. "Do you know how to play?"

I shake my head. The piano seems as if it's calling to me. I want to learn.

"Come sit here," Demi directs. She gestures to a black bench beside the piano.

I struggle a little to get up since it's a little tall, but soon I am sitting down on the bench. I look at the black and white pattern on the piano. Is this how the music is made?

"Can I sit beside you?" Demi asks.

I nod and scoot over a bit so that she has room on the bench. She places her fingers over the piano and presses in a white button-like thing. A sound fills the room. Cautiously, I try by touching one of the black buttons. The sound is different. How does this thing work?

"Would you like me to play you something?" Demi questions.

I nod and smile a little as she starts to press many of the buttons and fills the room with beautiful music similar to what I heard at the appointment.

I take in a breath and ask, "Can you show me how?"

"I would love to teach you," she exclaims. She sounds a little too loud, but not scary.

"This here," Demi starts, "is a key. Every single 'button', I guess, is called a key, and every key plays a different note. I know it sounds confusing, but you'll get it. This note," she stops talking to press a key, "is called middle-C."

I press it after her.

"This is the most important note," she explains. She takes her hand off the piano. "Can you find middle-C?"

I press the note that Demi had played before. So far, this was easy, but I love it.

"Good job! It looks like we have to bring you back, okay?"

I nod, but feel sad. After this experience, I don't want to go back to Miss. Carrie's where all the other kids are. Here, I am special.

"We're in the process of adopting you. Do you know what that means?" Wilmer asks.

I think so. It means that I leave Miss. Carrie's. I nod.

"Okay. Hopefully, you can soon come to live here," he continues. "But you have to be able to eat first."

I nod. I can try to do that. As long as it's only stew or the "fries" that Demi and Wilmer gave me. Then I can eat supper every day.

Demi smiles and they bring me back to Miss. Carrie's.

Today was the first day that I didn't think of Nevvy. I know that makes me a bad sister, but at least I feel happy. I go to my bed and sleep better than I ever have before.

---

Next Update: Saturday