Chapter 15

I went to the counselor again. She told Demi and Wilmer that I'm almost ready to start school, but if I learn some things called numbers and letters, I could move up to grade 1 instead of the class called kindergarten. Demi has been teaching me stuff, but she makes if fun by using the piano. I think I might be starting to understand it.

Living in what most people call the "normal" world has taught me a lot. I've learned about many different types of food, animals, and what colors are. I enjoy the learning, but I still hate how many things I don't know. I'm supposed to be smart.

"Lilly," Demi says using the name I've told her I prefer, "would you be willing to start school on Monday?"

The day before, I had done something with the counselor that she had called a test. I had to tell her certain colors and count and write my name. She said that I know enough to move up to grade 1. She also told me that the kids in my class would be younger than me. Basically, she was telling me that I'm dumb for my age.

I nod in response to Demi's question. I'm not really looking forward to it, and I am nervous, but I have to go if I want Demi and Wilmer to keep liking me.

Monday is in two days. Today, Wilmer doesn't have to work. So Demi and Wilmer are taking me back to the children's museum. I think that with everything I've learned, the museum will be more interesting. Well, at least I know what "purple" means.

---

"Do you know when your birthday is?" the counselor asks me Sunday afternoon.

I learned what months, years, and days are, but I don't know when my date is. I don't remember ever celebrating my birthday, although it seems to be something that "normal" people do. All I know is that I am 9 years old. No one ever told me when I'll be 10.

I shake my head.

"According to your information, you are almost 10 years old already. Do you think you're ready for school tomorrow?"

I shrug my shoulders. "When's my birthday?"

"You see, we don't know the exact date because most of your records are gone. It's in summer, though."

"Okay."

---

Demi and Wilmer watch TV with me in the evening. I had never known that I could watch TV. Uncle Mark never let me even look at the screen while he watched.

They watch a show called Hannah Montana with me. It had looked the most interesting of all my options and it's been very good to watch. The show has taught me a lot and it also means that I can spend time with Demi and Wilmer without talking.

I am very nervous as I take a bath and get ready for bed. What if nobody likes me? What if they want me to talk? I don't tell Demi and Wilmer that I'm nervous as they tell me goodnight. I'll be fine.

------

I'm really sorry that it took me so long to update. I had a busy Friday and weekend. I hope that you enjoy this chapter!