Chapter 22

Demi's POV

When Lilly introduced Wilmer and I to her sister as being her parents, I just about started crying. I had thought that by adopting an older child, we would miss out on things like that, but I guess I was wrong. The feeling is pure joy and I cannot believe just how lucky Wilmer and I am. That's what we tell each other with our eyes as we smile: "We're lucky."

We spend the entire afternoon with Lilly's sister and her family. Neveah, or Nevvy, is 6 years old and is absolutely gorgeous, just like Lilly. She seems much more confident and happy, though, and I wonder if it's because she was younger when everything happened or because Lilly tried her hardest to protect her sister.

When the girls say goodbye, they both start crying and hug each other tight.

"We'll have to do this again, soon," I tell Nevvy's mom.

"Definitely," she agrees. I think we can both relate to the happiness we feel when the girls are together.

We head back home from the beach just in time for supper. Although Lilly had been very happy at the beach, her voice sounds sad back at the house. She asks if she can go play piano in the music room.

"Would you like me to teach you another song?" I ask.

She shakes her head and looks away as if she feels ashamed. I wish I knew what was wrong. What if seeing her sister had brought back all the bad memories of her past? How could I have done that to her?

"I'm sorry," she says.

"You don't have to be sorry," Wilmer replies, and I smile. He's definitely a good father.

She runs off to the music room and I flinch when the door slams louder than normal. She's a little upset, I can tell. I just wish she would be more open so that we could try to help her.

"Should I go after her?" I look at Wilmer, feeling anxious.

"I think we should just let her be for now. She seemed quite upset."

"I know; I'm just really worried about her."

"It'll be okay."

"Promise?" A tear drips down my cheek.

"I promise. She's been through a lot. I'm sure she just has to process," he says.

"Should we make supper?"

"Why doesn't one of us go order fries? She loves them," Wilmer recommends.

"Sounds good."

I tell Wilmer that he should stay since I've spent more time with Lilly than he has, so I get in my car and drive to the closest McDonald's. Without makeup, not very many people notice me. I receive my order then get back home quickly.

Lilly is still in the music room when I get back and I think we're both a little worried to go and interrupt her. Although we've heard some things, we can't even imagine what she's gone through and how she could react if we bother her alone time.

I gently knock on the door. "Are you hungry?" I ask without opening the door.

"No." Lilly's response is very quiet and she sounds like she's been crying.

"We have fries." The door stays closed. "It's okay, Lilly. You can trust us."

Slowly, the door creaks open and Lilly steps out. Her face is bright red and she sniffles slightly.

"Can I have a hug?" I ask.

She nods slightly and I hug her. I wish I could take all her pain away, but at the moment, this is all I can do to try to help.

"Can I have fries now?" Her voice is shaky, but at least she's talking.

"Of course," I reply.

Lilly and I walk to the kitchen where I had left the fries with Wilmer. She leaves my side to go to Wilmer's and hugs him.

I can't help the tears from forming in my eyes. She had been so nervous around him before and this is the first time I've seen them truly hug. My life feels amazing in this moment.

I can't believe how lucky Wilmer and I are to have Lilly in our lives.