𝐳𝐞𝐫𝐨.

/ 𝐋𝐈𝐓𝐓𝐋𝐄 𝐖𝐈𝐍𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐑 /
00. prologue

 prologue

     The dim streetlights made little effort in lighting the obscurity of the witching hour. As John Winchester drove towards Lawrence, Kansas, a young girl named Sybil snored slightly in the seat beside him. 

     John knew that his boys were actively looking for him, whether if it was due to their worries or knowing that finding him would lead to what killed their mother. Despite the incertitude of their intentions, he knew one thing as fact— they wouldn't be able to pursue the monster alone. John peered over at his sleeping daughter for just a moment. Doubts on whether she was the answer to protecting his sons began to put a waver in his plans, but he was certain that she would become powerful once the abilities she inherited from her mother began to surface. A chuckle lurched from John's throat as he returned his gaze toward the dusky road, reminiscing how he had come to know of his demigod daughter.

     As he pursued his investigation of his wife's death, he ran into an orphanage in Washington, where he met Sybil. She had an indistinguishable resemblance to her mother, but at the time, he couldn't quite figure out who she had looked like. After doing much (illegal) research, he discovered her birth certificate, realizing that her mother was Hecate, a goddess that he had connected with less than a decade ago.

     One thing on the birth certificate that loomed over his conscience was her birthday— August 4, 1998. Remembering his and Hecate's short lived fling back in November of '97, he couldn't help but wonder if Hecate had given birth to his daughter without telling him. Curiosity eventually got the best of him as he decided to take a paternity test, confirming his suspicions. Before leaving Washington, he adopted Sybil under one of his aliases and taught her the basics of being a hunter during the two weeks they shared.

After reaching Lawrence, John woke up Sybil by gently shaking her. She stirred a little before opening her eyes. Unfamiliar with her surroundings, she questioned, "where are we?"

John beamed at his daughter. "We're in Kansas."

                    THE TWO WINCHESTERS WERE BACK IN their hometown, trying to make out what Sam had envisaged the other night. After visiting their childhood home themselves, they decided to ask around to get more information about what they might be dealing with. They proceeded to the garage where their father used to work before their mother had died to get some answers. They later learned that their father went to a psychic named Missouri Moseley.

After finding where Missouri resides, they waited for her in the front room until she finished her client.

"All right, then. Don't you worry about a thing," Missouri said while entering the room, her client following shortly after her. "Your wife is crazy about you."

The man thanked the woman and left the house, with Missouri closing the door behind him, sighing. "Poor bastard. His woman is cold-banging the gardener."

Dean snickered slightly. "Why didn't you tell him?"

Missouri turned around and looked at the oldest Winchester. "People don't come here for the truth; they come for good news."

The boys continued to stare at her until she finally spoke, "well? Sam and Dean, come on already! I ain't got all day."

The two brothers gazed at each other, aghast at the fact that she had known their names before they got the chance to introduce themselves formally. They got up and followed Missouri into another room.

"Well, let me look at ya," Missouri smiled, looking at both brothers. "Oh, you boys grew up handsome. And you were one goofy-looking kid too." She pointed at Dean.

Dean's eyes enlarged as Sam smirked, slightly amused with the small teasing.

After reading Sam's thoughts about their father and his girlfriend, they sat down as she told them what she had done for their father in the past.

"What was it," Sam requested, referring to what killed his mother.

"I don't know," Missouri breathed, "but there's someone who might."

Dean and Sam stared at each other briefly before demanding, "who?"

"Sybil, sweetie," Missouri summoned, "come out and meet your brothers."

Dean's eyes grew. "I'm sorry, did you just say 'brothers'?"

Sybil shuffled into the room with a doll in her hand, shocking the brothers once again. Not only was she their sister, but she was also only seven years old.

"Sybil Winchester," the little girl introduced, shooting a toothy grin, which was ironic since she missed her two front teeth. "Nice to meet you, sir!"

A/N: I had rewritten this prologue five times before I was satisfied with it. I hope you enjoyed it too!