First Day (Finale)

"Does that sound like a narcissist to you?" We all shook our heads in response. Then Ed came back on over the headsets saying that he had found what Jamie left in the hostel. Honestly, I just wanted to catch this guy before things got out of control. Wordie took over, "We found an envelope in Mrs. Elvers staff locker downstairs. There are five thousand dollars and a note, 'Maria, thanks for being a friend. J.D.'"

"Maria, do you know Jamie D?" Ed asked, I heard the lady say something surprised, but I could make out what she said. Then I heard dad talking. "He committed a robbery this morning and drove all the way across town to give you the money. Why would he do that?" I could hear the tension in everyone's voices as they spoke, I couldn't blame them. But we had to make sure we kept level heads. After the lady spoke again, Ed asked her if she recognized him. I heard her say no, "Same guy different looks. Now, are you sure you don't recognize either of them?" The lady began to say something, but then she cut herself off. Then I started to really listen in, curious as to why she stopped talking. 

"Wait," She said "Wait that one. That's Darcy. I used to live in Van Coover, there was a boy he lived with the family down the street." 

"Lived with them?" Dad asked. "Foster parents. I used to see them in the neighborhood. Super bright kid. Fast learner. I always told him to come to my place if he ever needed help so he came over a lot."

"Wait a second, needed help? Why?" Ed questioned. "I don't really know what went on. I mean Darcy never said anything..." 

"But..." Ed tried to get her to keep talking. "You see it in a kid. When they make up excuses. Can't meet you in the eye, bruises. One day Darcy just disappeared." 

"And you're sure that's him?" Dad asked again."Darcy Dunleavy. I mean he was younger. Maybe 13... 14.. but yeah... That's him." Ed thanked her for her help and before anything else could happen, Winnie started telling us about him, at least what his profile could tell us. "He lost his parents in a car crash, lived in a series of foster homes till he was 15 then it just looks like he dropped off the map," Boss asked if we could access a picture of him and Winnie said she could pull it off of the case file. She sent it to our PDA's, "In the case file picture he is only 17." 

"17, he's just a kid," Dad said. "We might have called this one wrong Sam." Ed said. Then Spike was looking at something on his screen, looked like Jamie's website. "Jamie has 497,000 followers but he only follows about a dozen people. I've backtracked the public chatter and there is a bunch of times that he and one follower branch off with private direct messages."

Mom read off the name, "Sagex007," then Spike continued. "She sent pictures. I found a cash ID between the two of them six months ago."

"So she started off as a fan?" Greg asked. "She caught his attention. I'm guessing it's because she didn't act like a fan. Everyone else is like 'Jamie you're so great, you're so awesome,' and she writes, 'must be hard when nobody knows who you really are. Living like a shadow, always looking over your shoulder.'"

"'How do you know who you can trust?' 'I don't know, I can't trust. Downside of a double life." Mom finished reading off the messages. "This is what she sent him 3 days later.." Spike said and we heard the girl singing her a song. In the background, I heard a car horn honk, it sounded really high pitch, which was weird. "And the next thing he writes is," 

"Sage you take my breath away." Greg read it out loud then Spike continued. "He told her everything. His foster parents. Looks like she's been there too. Check out this one, 'I'm scared at night. Wish my bedroom had a lock.' Sounds like she is being abused. He even told her about the night he shot the security guard. Turns out it was a total accident. The guy jumped him."