Spike (pt. 2)

"You're gonna do something for me, Lauren." I felt chills run down throughout my entire body. After telling me what he wanted me to do, he told me to make a call after holding a gun up to my head. I pulled out my phone and called Spike with shaky hands. "Hey, Lauren. What's up?" He spoke in his normal cheery voice which almost made me want to cry now. "Spike, I'm really sorry and I know you're on a call but I really need to see you."

"Uhh okay, I can see you at the station?"

"No-" I cut myself off knowing I was on the verge of tears. "Spike, I'm with Charlie," I turned to face him and plastered a fake smile onto my face, "and he'd really like to meet you." I finished looking back at the ground. "Who's Charlie?" Charlie walked closer now, probably trying to hear the conversation. "He's an old friend," I answered and added, "Just please come get me," in a quieter voice. "Come get you? Lauren, are you in trouble?" There we go, Spike. I hummed a yes looking back at the ground. 

"Okay, ya know what? I'll get the team, we can come out." Spike tried to calm me down. "No Spike... Just come please..." I got quieter again, "I really need your help.." Spike asked me where I was so I gave him the address. He hung up the call and I put the phone down glancing at Charlie. I saw the truck pull up outside of the window and watched as Spike walked over to the door. Charlie let him in and he met me in the living room. "Officer Scarlatti, Lauren's told me so much about you," Charlie practically sang. I looked over to Spike and felt the tears well up in my eyes. Calling him was a terrible idea. "Well, there's not that much to tell. Hey," Spike looked over at me. I stood up wanted to scream at him to run but all I could manage was, "Spike I'm so sorry."

"Don't worry about it, just get your things and let's get going," He looked at me like he was reading my expression. I could only hope at this point. "I knew you were the type of friend that would answer a distress call, no questions asked. " Once again I felt my heart drop. Spike looked back to me, "Lauren? What's going on?" I looked between him and Charlie not really knowing what to do. "We're on," Alvin came into the room and Charlie pulled out a gun aiming it right at Spike's face. "Charlie no!" I yelled as Alvin grabbed my arm holding me back. "She's done. Tie her up," Charlie said glaring at Alvin now. With that, the partner pushed me across the room and into a chair. I kept my eyes on Spike, scared of what Charlie was going to do to him. Before I knew it, Charlie was tying Spike up to a chair with a bunch of computers in front of him. He was giving a rundown on everything we knew about Spike. 

"What are you gonna do with Lauren?" He asked watching Charlie, who completely ignored the question and kept talking. "Charlie, you got me, let her go," Spike tried to reason with him now after looking over to me. They had me seated right across from him so I could see what was happening. Alvin walked back in from Spike's truck, "He's off the grid. I've got everything with a GPS trace, including the SUV's tracker." Spike and I both let out deep breaths. That wasn't good. "You're one of the best cops in the city. And you're gonna help me get something from," he clicked something on one of the computers in front of Spike, "here." After seeing what Charlie wanted to break into, Spike scoffed and looked up to him. "Are you serious?" He asked, but I think he already knew the answer. Charlie wasn't entertained by this so he held his gun back up to my head and made sure the barrel was touching it. "Stop! Stop. Charlie, I don't know what Lauren's told you I could do, but the evidence depot? That's where people talk about when they talk about something being impenetrable." Charlie dropped the gun from my head and made his way back towards Spike. "Alarms at every entrance and exit. Key cards and pas codes. Not to mention a dozen armed guards 24/7. Now I don't know what exactly you expect-" I could hear the rage in his voice. It wasn't something I heard often, and honestly the fact that I heard it now scared me. 

"We expect you to hack into the security mainframe with a spoofed ID to cover your tracks. Override the ID line system, and keep any traces off your line when you're doing it. Now I've already got you routed to an encrypted BPM." 

"Okay, sounds like you know what you're doing. You don't need me, or Lauren." Charlie walked back over to me and Spike followed him with his head and eyes. "He's the deal. Two men waiting on my signal. They have IDs they have uniforms, they have the layout. But we don't have passwords. So you've gotta get them and handle any curveballs."

"And you've gotta move fast because we are fighting the clock," Alvin piped in now. "What's the rush?" Spike asked. "Evidence protocol. What we want, gets destroyed end of the shift. That's at four o'clock. You have to get them through three gates and into the main evidence depot. Now, if you need more persuasion," Alvin grabbed a handful of my hair and yanked it back causing me to yelp. "Okay, OKAY! Okay no. We're good." With that, Alvin threw my head back down causing me to release a breath I wasn't aware I was holding. Spike and I met each other's gaze and I felt the fear boiling inside me and saw the rage and concern in his eyes. 

To be continued