•S2 E0: Prophecy•

Anxiously, the student looked over his mentor's shoulder. "Are you sure that this is safe?"

The old master only nodded, a faint smile crossing his elderly face. The Cloud Kingdom was, as always, full of nothing but peace and quiet. Of course, it wouldn't be that way for much longer. "It is safe. You must have faith in fate, young one. Although it may seem a tad dramatic, it will all be worth it in the end."

The student fiddled with his pen, stroking the feather with delicate fingers. He looked back to their mentor. "Sensei, I know that you are one of the best fortune writers of the Cloud Kingdom, but don't you think that this is a bit... much?"

The mentor brought his pen across the paper, creating delicate strokes and frail lines. They created a ninja. Then two, three, four. Five, with the final one being the largest image in the middle. Just drawing their gi on the paper sent shivers up the old man's spine. "It is never too much to set a happy future for the realms, my student. Yet there is something dangerous about this prophecy. Something that I was hoping to never write. Something I can only hope will never happen."

"What? Never write?" The student asked, more tense than ever. "What do you mean by that?"

The mentor frowned deeply. He opened his mouth to respond, but was swiftly stopped in his tracks. The ground suddenly shook. Other writers began murmuring among themselves before the ground gave a nightly heave. The ink in the master's inkwell went sloshing over the side, dripping ominously to the floor. All other writers stopped writing for a few seconds, gasping. "...S-Sensei..." The student stuttered, hands shaking.

The ink had spilled into the shape of a large snake looming over a small figure. Though tiny in size, the gap where an eye should show was quite enough.

A bad omen. A very bad omen. The ground gave one more mighty shake before coming to a complete and unnatural halt. Silence fell on the room, and everyone was staring at the ink spot. It was almost as terrifying as if everyone had started screaming, if not worse. A very, very, very bad omen. Unspeakably bad.

"There's no time," the master said frantically as he picked up his pen, writing as fast as he possibly could. "There's no time! Ninjago is not prepared yet! No, no, no! They need more time!"

The student rested a quaking hand on his master's arm, eyes wide. "More time? More-More time for what?"

The master rolled the scroll, being careful not to smear the wet ink. He winced when he felt a bit of the liquid shift out of place, blurring the words. "I have to get this to him," he muttered, running at top speed to one of the boats. "Ninjago is not ready. Hopefully I can postpone it to another generation-"

The student stumbled after his master, and for the first time in a very long time he felt afraid. An unnatural feeling. As they jumped onto the boat, the student caught sight of the other dimensions through the crystal before seeing a monastery and an old man meditating in front of the training grounds. The student could just barely hear the cries of a child behind closed doors, hungry and waiting for his father.

The student's eyes grew wide. "Oh. Oh no no no. If that's what I think you meant, then... This is bad."

The master shook his head a little. "Not yet. I think that Ninjago may just have the tiniest sliver of time to prepare. I just have to hope that this prophecy will hold off until all of Ninjago is ready."

But deep down, they both knew that full preparation was impossible.