•S2 E5: Child's Play (2)•

The large Ninjago Doomsday Comix sign above your favourite store was a comforting sight to see. You and Lloyd had escaped to here countless times, and Mother Doomsday always covered for you until you got back to Darkley's. Just the smell of comics when you walked through the door sent you back years. There were people looking at comics in the aisles, and you respected their tastes.

    After all, it was an unspoken rule to respect other people's manga preferences.

    Cole looked around, confused. "You brought us to a comic book store?" He groaned.

    "Stop being such a party pooper, Cole," you snickered, strolling down the aisle. "There's a reason we're here, you know."

    Your twin nodded, lightly browning the wares as he passed by them. "If there's anyone who knows how to defeat a monster that doesn't exist, we know just the person to talk to."

    Kai rushed forward turning Lloyd around and pouting, "We're not going to pick up your stupid comic, guys. This is serious business."

    Looking over his shoulder, you saw Jay marveling at a first edition Daffy Dale comic on the shelf. You pointed, saying, "Jay doesn't seem to think so."

    The blue ninja jumped before trying to be indifferent, sighing, "So juvenile."

    Lloyd pushed everyone forward to the front desk and announced, "Fellas, meet Rufus McCallister, AKA, Mother Doomsday."

    The adult looked over the counter and smirked, "Well, if it isn't the 'ice-cream' hip-joins. Sorry, if you came looking for the latest Starfarer. I'm all sold out."

    Ah, yes. The "ice-cream" personality metaphor. Passive and sweet outside, chilly and sharp inside. You'd graciously earned the two of you the title from something that Mother Doomsday refers to as the "Issue Seven Incident".

    You smiled sweetly, replying, "Then I'm lucky a certain person carrying the issue had a loose purse."

    "(Y/N), (Y/N). Never change," Mother Doomsday mused, giving you a high-five across the counter.

    While Lloyd glared at you, he said, "Actually, Mother Doomsday, we need help."

    "Well, colour me intrigued."

    "We have a problem. There's a Grundal on the loose, and we need to know how to deal with it."

    Mother Doomsday leaned a little further across the counter. "Ah, a theoretical question."

    "Yep," you nodded with a wink, "you got anything to help?"

    He lowered from his chair, walking out from behind the counter as he stated, "Dromaeosaurid Theropod Grundalychus. Whoo. Although extinct, there have been a plethora of film, television, and comics exploring the mythology around the primordial predator." He pulled a comic with the beast's ugly mug on it off of the shelf, showing it. "Supposedly, they always get their prey."

    "Sounds like he knows his stuff," Kai whispered to you.

    "Never underestimate the power of a comic shop owner," you hummed back.

    Lloyd pushed to the front. "Can it be stopped?"

    "First thing you need to know is it's thick, shell-like hide is invincible to swords, scythes, nunchucks, and throwing stars. So your cheap imitations will do nothing to slow him down," Mother Doomsday said, getting a big sigh out of Cole. "Second of all, it's nocturnal and will only hunt at night."

    Jay let out a sigh of relief, "Oh, good. It's still daylight, so we can relax for a bit." Mother Doomsday raised an eyebrow, and the lightning ninja cleared his throat. "I meant, theoretically."