Chapter 4 | Isabella

We had almost reached math class when I received a text from my uncle Osiris.  

For some reason male pack members were able to communicate through a mind-link but female werewolves couldn't, even the high-ranking ones. I had always thought that was a bit weird but what do I know?  When I asked my uncle once why male and female wolfs were so different he had just told me that that was how we were built.

Uncle Osiris: I want you home now Isabelle.

I didn't care much for math, if at all, but I still felt that I should put up some sort of protest based on principle. 

You know, the principle that I was a teenager and I might have actually been doing something that I enjoyed.

Belle (Me): I'm heading to math class now; I'll have to make up my classwork later if I leave now.

Uncle Osiris: Then have Selene bring the rest of the day's work home for you, we need to talk.

This can only be good news, I thought sarcastically, savoring the sarcasm, the language of teens everywhere. 

I was the queen of snarkitude.

I knew that he wouldn't leave me alone, at least not until I did what he wanted and arrived back at the pack house.  I briefly wondered if this had anything to do with the three strangers that I had met in the library.

Uncle Osiris: Beta Khepri is waiting outside for you in his jeep.  he'll take you back to the pack mansion.  Don't worry, I'll send someone else back to get your car, just hurry.

With that, he left the group text, soon followed by Beta Khepri after he sent a brief thumbs up (he must have added Khepri so that he would know to pick me up).  And he's always going on about my manners, geez!

Huffing in annoyance, I turned to Izzy so that I could quickly explain what was going on and to ask her to take notes in class for me and to bring my homework to the pack house for me.

"Of course I will Belle, you would do the same for me.  Do you know what's going on, is everything okay?"

We were standing near the classroom so that we could see when the teacher was coming but we weren't blocking the entrance.  "I think so.  Either way I'll make sure to let you know what happens when you drop off the notes and homework.  I really appreciate this, Izzy," I said as I gave her an affectionate side hug.  "I owe you one!"

"No you don't.  Like I said, I know you'd do the same for me without a thought.  That's what friends are for," she said as she returned my hug.  "Make sure to call me and let me know what's going on as soon as possible."

The bell rang just as I saw Mr. McCormick making his way down the hall, nose buried in a biography of some scientist named Hestia.  His remaining salt and pepper hair stood up on end, a pen behind one ear.

"You'd better head to class, I'd feel guilty if you got in trouble because of me.  You know how Mr. McCormick can get.  He must think he's a doctor; he can be late, but off with your head if we are," I whispered to her with a laugh.

"Alright," she chuckled as she nodded her head in agreement, ebony waves bouncing.  

It was well known that we all thought he had missed his calling.  He even had the perfect doctor's chicken scratch.  "I'll make sure to drop everything off after school and to tell all of the teachers.  I'll see you then."  With that, she headed inside, waving goodbye over her shoulder.

I made sure to quickly fill Mr. McCormick in since I was already there and asked him to tell any of my other teachers if he saw them.

"Sure Belle.  Just make sure to turn your homework in on time," he said as he absently scratched his nose leaving a trail of ink.  Where had the ink come from?

"Thanks Mr. McCormick!  I'll make sure to turn everything in on time.  I have to go now."

He just turned around and slowly made his way towards the class.  Shaking my head with a slight smile, I made my way towards the student parking lot to look for Khepri.

I spotted his red jeep parked in front almost immediately.  Khepri was leaning against the car looking as irritated as ever, a scowl pasted across his caramel face.  It  wasn't exactly unusual; sometimes I wondered if he had been born with that look on his face.  Giggling to myself at the thought, I made my way over to him.

"What took you so long, Isabelle," he snapped as he glared at the ground.

"For your information, uncle just finished texting me maybe fifteen minutes ago.  Then I had to make sure that Izzy knew to take notes for me in class and get all of my homework.  I also had to tell Mr. McCormick that I wouldn't be in his class today since I had passed him.  I came as soon as I could," I said patiently.  It seems like he had been like this ever since we had broken up.

"Whatever," he muttered dismissively.  I wasn't sure that he had even been listening.  "Just get in the car already, will you?  I do have other things to do other than babysitting the pack's princess."

Sighing to myself, I got into the car.  I had barely manage to get into the car and shut the door when he pealed out of the parking lot.  God, he could be such a jerk.

Even as I thought that, I was briefly distracted by an eerie sensation, as if I was being watched.  Although by who, or what, I couldn't say.

A/N: What do you think of Beta Khepri?  Who's your favorite character so far?

VOTE | COMMENT | LIKE | ADD | FOLLOW | SHARE

STAY SAFE | HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY