Chapter 22 | Isabella

EDITED

"Are you a spy," he demanded as he eyed me.

"A-a what? No," I whisper-yelled indignantly, still mindful that we were near the rogues, my uncle and our pack warriors. No one else needed to get involved.

He didn't seem to believe me. "Why are you here then," he hissed.

I decided to go for the truth. "my uncle was acting strange..I-I just wanted to see why, if he's OK..."

"Your uncle? And who would that be," he said scoffed as he examined me.

"Alpha Osiris."

"Ah. You must know about Project Eve then," he said. He didn't look like he thought I did; his smirk and amused expression said as much.

"Project Eve..?"

"Yes, how we all began centuries ago. The scientists---"

But he never finished. Khepri came out of nowhere, ripping me from his gentle grasp before slamming him against a tree. His amber eyes blazed in fury as he eyed the stranger with disdain.

"Spreading lies again Loki?"

"Define lies," was his cool reply as he eyed Khepri in disgust. "They aren't lies if they're based on facts. You know, I could tell you the truth if you come with me." He looked at me in sympathy over Khepri's shoulder.

Khepri slammed him against the tree again after he said that. "Khepri," I said softly, gently placing my hand on his shoulder. "Enough."

He shrugged my hand off and slammed him against the tree once more. Did he not hear me or was he making a point? Narrowing my eyes at him, I repeated myself louder and in a firmer voice. "Khepri, I said enough!"

He growled, then let him drop to the ground. "Get out of here, go back to your master," he sneered.

The stranger's eyes narrowed at that. My name is Ambriel - if you ever need me, you can reach me at---"

"I said go," Khepri roared. "Now, before I change my mind!"

The stranger, Ambriel, just ignored him as he sent a smirk my way. He started to head towards the clearing before stopping. "We'll be in touch," he called over his shoulder before he started sprinting away.

"We? Who are you talking about? And what did you..." But he was already gone. "Khepri...do you know what he was talking about? Who was that?"

"That was no one. No one you need to know anyways."

"He already told me his name, I'm not the Cyclops from the Odyssey! Please..?" My eyes widened as my lower lip quivered. "For me?"

"Bella," he groaned. "I-I can't"

"Stop pouting! That won't work on me."

I internally raised my brows at that. Should I use the guilt factor I thought as I took in his expression. He looked torn, like he wanted to tell me and couldn't, wasn't allowed to.

"Fine," I said.

"I said I couldn't - wait, what? You never give in that easily. What are you planning," he groaned as he eyed me suspiciously.

"Nothing! Come on, let's go back to the pack house."

"I'll be there in a few minutes, I need to fill your uncle in on something."

I eyed him warily. I would find out what all of that was about. "Fine," I sighed. "I'll see you there."

He simply nodded before heading towards the clearing Ambriel had sprinted towards. I stood there for a moment or two. There was no way I was just going to let this go.

I quietly made my way toward the clearing that Khepri had headed towards, eyes taking my surroundings in. I came to the edge of the clearing, hiding behind a wide oak tree.

"--Else did he say," my uncle whispered. Why did he want to know what he said? Was he talking about what Ambriel had tried to tell me?

Khepri murmured something that I couldn't quite catch. I wanted to sneak closer but was afraid that I would get caught and hear nothing.

"We need to watch her more closely, make sure he isn't able to access her. It would be dangerous to..." His voice became indecipherable. I wanted to yank my hair out!

I decided that I would have to edge closer if I wanted to hear anything. I slowly made my way closer to them, eyes on their two forms.

I hadn't been watching where I was going and I flinched as a twig snapped underfoot. I glared down at the offending branch even as I began to internally panic.

Khepri suddenly turned his head my way just as I quickly hid behind a pine tree. "Who's there," He growled. My back was pressed against the tree trunk, eyes squeezed shut. If I couldn't see them they couldn't see me, right?

"Come out before we make you," he called.

I knew if I din't listen they would force me to. Slowly, I edged my way from the tree cover, eyes on the ground.

"You," Khepri groaned. "What are you doing here Bella? Where you listening in on us?"

I looked up at Khepri then. His eyes were narrowed, lips pursed as he warily eyed me. "Maybe I should have a little talk with your mates about discipline," he muttered.

My eyes widened at that. He wouldn't - right?

"Go back to the pack house now Bella," came my uncle's raspy voice. "I don't have time for this right now," he sighed warily.

I looked between the two with narrowed eyes as I quickly assessed their body language and expressions.

"You'll tell me what's going on later though, right u---" I started.

"Now Bella. Don't test me."

I huffed at that. I was the next Alpha, shouldn't I know what's going on? If the Beta knew, I certainly should. I would find out despite them.

I glared at the two of them before stomping back towards the pack house, shoulders tense.

They couldn't keep secrets from me forever.

VOTE | COMMENT | LIKE | SHARE | FOLLOW | ADD

STAY SAFE | HAVE A GREAT DAY