Chapter 17 | Isabella

I woke up the next morning to see that I had three missed calls and 19 missed texts from my Uncle. Curious, I checked the texts and my messages to see what was going on. All I read were the same sentence repeated over and over: 'call me as soon as possible, it's important.'

Slightly worried at the brief messages I immediately called my Uncle. After three rings he finally picked up.

"Hello," my uncle's drowsy voice sounded. "Who is it?"

"It's me, Bella," I laughed. My uncle had never been a morning person.

He seemed to perk up at that. I heard some shuffling and banging on the other end of the line and instantly knew he was making himself some coffee. "I tried calling and texting you last night. I'm glad you called."

"What's going on? Why didn't you leave me a message or text?"

"I did," he said.

"It was vague," I deadpanned. "Couldn't you have given-"

"I have Cancer," he blurted. I paused at that, not believing him, not wanting to believe him. I nearly dropped the phone, just catching it. What do you say to something like that? I was only seventeen and had already lost both of my parents. I couldn't lose my uncle too.

"What," I whispered.

"Cancer. The pack doctor said that I have Multiple Myeloma," he continued.

"No. The pack doctor must have made a mistake; I'll take you to a different doctor for a second opinion."

"No Bella," he said softly, gently. "There's no need. That was the fourth doctor I've been to. They all say the same thing."

"I-is there anything the doctors can do? Anything I can do? You've been like a second father to me, I can't lose you," I cried as I choked back a sob. Lexi, who had woken up a few minutes ago, looked on in worry.

"Just be there for me like you always are. You always manage to cheer me up Do..do you think you can come home and spend some time with me?"

"Of course," I said, furiously wiping away tears. I'll be there as soon as possible, just let me tell Moony."

"Thank you. I just don't want to be alone right now," he whispered.

"After all you have done for me there's no need to thank me. You took care of me when I needed you most; now it's my turn," I whispered fiercely. "I love you Papa Siri," I continued, using my childhood nickname. "I'll be there in a New York minute!"

We hung up soon after that and I turned to Selene. "Moony, I have to go. My uncle told me he has Cancer."

Her eyes widened at that and she scooped me into a bear hug. "Of course Bella! Do you want me to drive you back to the pack house?"

I gave her a small smile at that. "I would appreciate that Izzy. I'd better clean up and pack my things quickly."

"Let me help, it'll go quicker that way," she said with one more squeeze. I smiled at her in thanks and we made our way to Selene's room where we quickly cleaned yesterday's mess and packed everything back up.

"Ready?"

"I hope so," I mumbled. "I really hope so."

________________

After explaining to Isis that I had to go see my uncle immediately she offered to drive me back home. Knowing that I was in no condition to drive even if I had my car with me, I readily accepted.

Usually Izzy would have questioned me more but my face must have silenced her - a feat in and of itself. We were very alike that way.

We quickly made our way out of her apartment complex building and headed out towards the parking lot. Entering her candy apple red convertible, Izzy turned on the radio. She must have known that I wouldn't be in the mood to talk.

She pealed out of the parking lot, her face etched with worry lines. I hadn't meant to worry her, but I couldn't bring myself to open my mouth long enough to reassure her.

I couldn't even reassure myself.

It felt like as soon as I allowed my mouth to open I would no longer be able to hold my stomach's contents. That wasn't a risk I was willing to take and I'm sure Moony wouldn't appreciate me making in her car.

The ride home was quick, thankfully. I would have to thank Izzy for everything later I told myself. I couldn't have asked for a more understanding friend or a better friend in that moment.

Izzy knew me like the back of her hand, as I knew her.

When I had arrived at the pack house all those years ago, she was the first person I befriended. We had been closer than sisters, closer than twins ever since.

When I had received word that nothing had survived the fire, Isis had been there for me. When her first boyfriend, Eros, had broken up with her after telling her that he had been cheating on her their entire relationship, I was there for her. We always knew what the other needed, and when.

In that moment I couldn't have been more grateful for her silent understanding. I looked towards her, watching her dark curls sway with the breeze, tears glinting in my eyes. She must have seen; she squeezed my shoulder in support, glancing at me from the corner of her amber eyes as she did before quickly returning her eyes back to the road.

Seemingly sensing my distress, she sped up even more.

I knew that I couldn't be the best company at the moment with how I was becoming increasingly worried with every passing moment. We spent it in silence with the radio quietly playing being the only noise.

My thoughts were all jumbled together, a mess.

As soon as I arrived at the pack house I hopped out with a quick muttered thanks thrown over my shoulder as I began zombie-shambled to the house. Well, mansion to be more exact.

Isis waited until I was safe inside before speeding off; she always did.

I stepped inside, ignoring the grandeur of the massive marble palace I called home. I took off my shoes before continuing on leaving them in the mudroom before calling out to my uncle.

"Uncle Osiris? Uncle Osiris? Where are you?" It was eerily quiet. Where was everyone?

VOTE | COMMENT | LIKE | ADD | FOLLOW | SHARE

STAY SAFE | HAVE A GREAT DAY