Chapter 5 | Isabella

Khepri parked his truck, his pride and joy, outside of the pack's Tudor-style mansion. To be fair, he had saved up since he was fourteen for it, so I could understand to a degree.

He came around to my side of the car before I had a chance to move and opened the door for me before closing it once more.  If I didn't know him better, I would have thought that he was being sweet.

I did though.  I knew he was only protecting his car.  Cue eye roll.  What was it with boys and their toys?

We mad our way to the Tudor-style mansion, then inside. If my our ancestors hadn't made some wise investments in a slew of tech firms like Microsoft, Facebook, Apple and Twitter we never could have afforded to live here.

I always felt bad for the servants, even if they were paid well.  I would hate to have to clean this place - just as soon as you finished cleaning you would have to start all over.  It was weird living here sometime, like living in a museum.  Even when most of the pack wasn't here the palace was still teeming with servants.

We made our way inside and I ignored the lavish cloak room, quickly taking off my cranberry, high heeled boots which had blunt steel spikes embedded in them, then my matching leather jacket.  I probably should have dressed warmer but they were just so cute together!

Khepri slid off his leather shoes, lazily kicking them off into a nearby corner.  I rolled my eyes; he was so messy.

We made our way down a long hallway lined with mirrors, passed the kitchen, then another hallway with windows instead of walls.  We finally made it to the intricately carved wood of my uncle's cedar office door.

I quickly glanced at the ancient carvings, taking in the men, women and wolves.  I never got tired of looking at it. 

He knocked three times using the bronze door knocker in the shape of a wolves paw.  We waited for my uncle's response in an awkward silence.

"Leave," my uncle's voice sounded from inside to Khepri.  He looked more than happy to, immediately leaving me as I opened the door to my uncle's study.

Traitor, I thought, as he rounded the corner without a backward glance.  He may have taken over his father's job as the Beta, but it was obvious that he was insecure about his new title. It was almost as if he was afraid my uncle would snatch it away from him.

He had been more of a lackey and a watchdog for my uncle than a boyfriend once he gained the title, a rapid transition that I loathed.  That, and he was too possessive for my taste.  

You know,  at all.  

We had both decided that it would be best if we broke up and went back to just being friends.  Luckily, we were not mates, that much was clear from the beginning.

Female wolves depended on male wolves to let them know whether or not they were mates.  While females had a stronger sense of hearing and sight, males had a stronger sense of smell and taste.  A female's sense of smell wasn't much stronger than that of an extinct human.

As I made my way towards one of the four leather chairs situated before my uncle's carved antique mahogany desk, I realized that three of the four chairs were occupied. 

Usually I would just grab a book from one of the bookcases and either wait outside or sit in one of the plush jade green couches stamped with pale silver designs as I waited for his meeting to finish.

There was just one problem; the chairs were currently occupied by the three blunder wonders from the school's library that I had had the displeasure of meeting earlier that day.  What were the chances? Today just wasn't my day.