Chapter 18 | Isabella

EDITED

"In here," my uncle's voice rasped. His voice cleared then he repeated it more firmly. "In here. I'm in here sweetheart."

My heart clenched painfully at the sound of his voice.

How had I not noticed his increasing weakness until that moment? What kind of a niece was I?

A horrible one, I silently concluded. My breath hitched as I attempted to keep my tears at bay.A tear dug a jagged path down my cheek before I hastily rubbed it away with the back of my hand.

My back straightened then. No. I must be strong for my uncle now. He didn't need this. I pinched the bridge of my nose and clenched my eyes tight, my face screwed up; I was determined not to make him feel worse.

He had always been the strong one both for me and the pack. He had always taken care of everyone, never expecting anything in return. Nothing but happiness from the other person.

Now it was my turn.

My turn to take care of him, be there for him. Clearing my throat, I was determined to respond in a calm, clear voice. "Where are you Papa Siri," I called.

"In here," he called. "I'm in the sitting room." I heard him coughing after that.

Again, how had I not noticed? I should have known he was ill at the least. Perhaps not with Cancer, but I should have suspected something.

He had been giving me more and more of his workload, suspiciously enough. He was a Type A sort of person, he wouldn't do that normally. Even if he claimed it was because I would eventually need to do all of this myself.

I had been so proud he had thought I was ready that I never took the time to ask myself why. Him, the man who always said 'If you can do something yourself, why pay someone.'

The man who had raised me after my parent's deaths, who was like a second father to me. I had acted like I didn't know him at all I thought bitterly as I speed-walked my way to the sitting room.

"There you are," he whispered with a smile as he stared up at me from the couch. I gave a halfhearted smile in return, the best I could manage in that moment.

"Hey Papa," I said gently. I took the time to look at him, really look at him then. It was like it was my first time seeing him. I barely managed to suppress a gasp at the sight before me.

He had wasted away before me. I had never felt so blind as I did in that moment.

His cheeks were sunken in, hollowed out. His eyes had sunken into his now sallow face surrounded my his limp, lusterless hair. I noted that his hair seemed to have receded; what was left of it was nearly solid white. It surrounded his ashen face like a faded storm cloud.

I clenched my teeth, fists bunched at my sides.

I could have been there for him.

I hadn't been.

I had gone about like everything was normal when it wasn't. It was as far from normal as it could be. My eyes welled up despite myself as he held out his arms for a hug.

Things would never been the same.

"Now, now, none of that," he said softly as he rubbed my back soothingly. "Shouldn't I be the one crying," he continued with a light chuckle before it turned to body wracking coughs for the next two minutes.

I blinked rapidly, managing a watery chuckle for him more than myself. "You're right of course."

"I have to tell you something before my Cancer worsens and I have to start my Chemo and Radiation treatment---"

"What," I shrieked. He winced at my loud voice practically sounding in his ear. "Sorry," I said in a lower tone. "Wasn't that used as a weapon during one of the Great Wars of the 20th century," I asked.

"Well...yes." My eyes widened as he confirmed that. "I've tried everything else though, I've been to the best doctors. Now, back to what---"

"Everything? You've tried everything," I demanded angrily. "How did you even get Cancer," I continued. "Didn't they find a cure during the Second Renaissance? You got an inoculation when you were 3 months old like we all did - right..?"

His eyes widened at that and he suddenly seemed guilty, though I could't think of a reason. "Belle, please, this is important he pleaded."

I took a deep breath to help calm myself down. Yelling at him wouldn't help him. "Y-you're right, I'm sorry. I'll listen. What was it that---"

We were interrupted by a shrill noise that caused us both to flinch. My phone.

Who could possibly be calling me, it certainly couldn't be Izzy. I was certain that Khepri would know better. Izzy had probably filled him in with the basics already. So who else was left?

VOTE | COMMENT | LIKE | ADD | SHARE | FOLLOW

STAY SAFE | HAVE A GREAT DAY