Chapter 20 | Isabelle

EDITED

"Now, now, none of that," he said softly as he rubbed my back soothingly. "Shouldn't I be the one crying," he continued with a light chuckle before it turned to body wracking coughs for the next two minutes.

I blinked rapidly, managing a watery chuckle for him more than myself. "You're right of course."

"I have to tell you something before my Cancer worsens and I have to start my Chemo and Radiation treatment---"

"What," I shrieked. He winced at my loud voice practically sounding in his ear. "Sorry," I said in a lower tone. "Wasn't that used as a weapon during one of the Great Wars of the 20th century," I asked.

"Well...yes." My eyes widened as he confirmed that. "I've tried everything else though, I've been to the best doctors. Now, back to what---"

"Everything? You've tried everything," I demanded angrily. "How did you even get Cancer," I continued. "Didn't they find a cure during the Second Renaissance? You got an inoculation when you were 3 months old like we all did - right..?"

His eyes widened at that and he suddenly seemed guilty, though I could't think of a reason. "Belle, please, this is important he pleaded."

I took a deep breath to help calm myself down. Yelling at him wouldn't help him. "Y-you're right, I'm sorry. I'll listen. What was it that---"

We were interrupted by a shrill noise that caused us both to flinch. My phone.

Who could possibly be calling me, it certainly couldn't be Moony. I was certain that Khepri would know better. Moony had probably filled him in with the basics already. So who else was left?

"Where are you," boomed a deep voice from the other end of the line.

I stared at the phone in confusion. I hadn't the faintest idea of who was talking to me now. "Um, not to be rude or anything...but who is this?"

There was an awkward pause at that. "Your mate. I'm your mate."

That narrowed it down to three people then. Unless there were more that I didn't know about, that is. "OK...which one of my mates though?"

There was another pause, longer this time. "Right," he seemed to be saying more to himself than me. He cleared his throat, then said, "Poseidon. That is, this, er, I - I'm Poseidon."

"OK Poseidon," I said slowly. "Not that I'm not curious about how you managed to get my number or anything, but I'm kind of busy right now."

"But---"

"I have to go now. And next time ask for my number." I hung up, turning back to my uncle.

"Who was that," he said with a raised brow

"Just my mates," I say without thinking.

"You're mates," he repeats with a blank face. He muttered something unintelligible under his breath. "And just who are these...mates..?" He practically spits out the word as if it leaves a bad taste in his mouth.

I don't know why he was acting like he didn't remember who they were.  Was that from the Chemo?

"Um...they're the Alpha Triplets of the Jagged Iron Claw pack." I said slowly as I eyed him warily.

Before he could open his mouth to say another word my cell started to ring. Who could it be now?

"What," I barked into the phone.

"Well hello to you too," came Izzy's voice from the other end.

I flushed as I realized that I had just yelled at my best friend for no reason. I really hope that nothing else had gone wrong.