Chapter 6 | Isabella

Izzy and I were at the pack's theater, excited to watch the new movie, "Bombshell," with my uncle's lapdog, Khepri.  Granted, he was trying to stay out of our way.

The key word here would be trying.

To be fair, he was following my uncle's orders, doing what he was told to do.  It didn't look like he was any happier to be here than we were at any rate.

Before we headed into the movie we had to get our tickets.  We decided to grab some snacks while we were getting them from the food court getting our tickets. 

A girl with bright, bubblegum pink hair which perfectly matching the gum she was determinedly chomping away on was filing her at her matching pink nails.  She suddenly let out an amused snort, dropping her file as she picked up a bedazzled phone, eagerly texting away.

A boy with shoulder-length black hair that fell into his bright blue eyes, adorned with several piercings and a grey-blue streak partially hidden in the left part of his hair was busily texting as he stood next to her, brows furrowed as he nervously nibbled his lip ring.

Looking between our two oh-so-attentive options, we decided on the boy who was texting.  The three of us headed to the sticky counter, quickly deciding what we wanted to add to our fat storage deposits.

Neither cashier seemed to  realize that they were being paid to work, so Khepri decided to  risk catching the latest plague that was likely breeding on the counters, rapping his knuckles against it a few times, just missing a questionable spill.

He quickly yanked out a few tissues from an ancient Kleenex box that seemed to be more dust than paper.  A spider seemed to have made it's home there, curiously peeking it's head out to see what had disturbed its rest.

Khepri let out a shriek as he dropped the box, the poor, confused arachnid scuttling off to find a new, safer home.

The boy looked up startled, as if he had forgotten where he was.  

"Oh, I-I'm sorry guys.  I was texting my cousin to see if she was feeling better," he said as his face turned a beet red. 

"It's alright, life happens," I said with a small smile while Isis and Khepri nodded in agreement.

"So, what would you guys like," he asked seeming to feel slightly better as he tucked his phone away in his back pocket.

"What would you girls like?   Your uncle gave me his card."

"Do you want to share a large popcorn," Izzy asked hopefully.

"You know I do.  With extra butter?  If we're going to splurge, we should splurge.  You want a Dr. Pepper with no ice too, right?"

"Yup, like nobody's business," she grinned, rubbing her hands together excitedly.

Sighing at us while he tried to suppress a smile, he told the boy what we wanted.  I still managed to glimpse Khepri's fleeting smile, small small and brief as it had been.  That was a success in my book. 

"One large popcorn, extra butter, two medium Dr. Peppers, no ice, two hot dogs, nachos, a box of M & Ms and three large cherry coke, no ice." 

The poor boy just nodded, wide eyed in  a potent mix of awe and I suspect a little fear.  I have a theory that Khepri has a hollow leg where he stores his food.  Even for a male werewolf he ate a lot.  He literally never exercises unless it's at the pack practice, then he'll spend hours straight training.  It's always been all or nothing with him.

Khepri paid for the food with the card my uncle had given him, then the boy made the drinks, nachos and popcorn, handing us our items before he went and grabbed Khepri's candy.  We grabbed a couple handfuls of napkins and headed to the theater, juggling our food as we did.