Chapter 14 | Isabella

I arrived at Isis' house, ready for our sleep over.  A little 'girl time' with my best friend was just what I needed to unwind right now.

I buzzed the number for her apartment and waited.  "Yes, who is it," Isis' voice crackled through the speaker.

"It's me, Bella."  I was so dead.

There was complete silence for a moment then, "You had better have a good explanation for ditching me Isabella Artemis Cunningham."  

I gulped at that.  If she was using my full name, it was serious.

"I do!  Now are you going to let me up so I can explain, or are you going to make me stay out here?"

It had started to rain again.  I really didn't feel like catching pneumonia.  Who had the time for that?

"Hmm, tempting," she said.  She was teasing - I think.

"Izzy!"

"Fine, fine, but I want a thorough explanation; that means every last detail," she said as she unlocked the door open for me.  I knew that she was no longer angry with me; she could never stay mad with anyone, never mind loved ones.

I made my way up to her apartment and was about to knock on the door when it was flung open.  She threw her arms around me, apparently trying to 'lovingly strangle' me as her own personal form of vengeance.

"Izzy," I wheezed.  "Can't - breathe...want...to...live," I managed to gasp as I was being strangled alive.  You may think I was exaggerating, but my face was turning a lovely puce at that moment.  

She immediately let me go, before smacking my head.  "Ow, woman!  What was that for?"

"I'm smacking some sense into you," she calmly replied.  I did notice that she looked a little happy at my pain though, the sadist.  "Now where were you?  You were right next to me one moment, the next you've disappeared."

We had moved to the living room at this point.

"I was kidnapped," I said bluntly.  

She blinked at that, looking at me as if I was speaking a foreign language, and poorly at that.

She tilted her head to the side as she carefully eyed me. "What?  That's not funny Isabella."  Her face had reddened as it always did when she was riled up.

"Why would you thing I was joking?  Look," I said showing her the mark that Zeus had left.  "I was marked too.  I just left and went to the bathroom to hide from my creep of a mat and he followed me - into the bathroom."

She scrunched her face up at that.  "I'm sorry Belle!  I had no idea you had even left until I wanted to ask you about a scene!"

"Yeah, I noticed!  I had really been looking forward to that movie too," I sighed.

She nodded in agreement before shaking her head and leaning closer.  "Was that you mate?  The one from the library," she whispered conspiratorially.

She did know no one else was around, right?

"Yes.  Unfortunately that was one of my mates.  Hopefully the other two aren't reckless like Zeus."

"Ooh, Zeus is it," she asked with a teasing smile as she wiggled her brows.  "On a first name basis with him already are you?"

"Ew, gross Izzy!  What did you expect me to do, call him mate?"

"Well..."  She sent a mischievous look my way.

"Izzy, I'm serious!  That boy has no manners!"

"That's no boy," she murmured.  I scowled at that.  "Come on, he can't be that bad."

I started to explain exactly how he was that bad when we were interrupted.  There was a loud knocking at the door, the door shaking in it's frame at the determined pounding.

Why was I always getting interrupted?

The door was shaking on its hinges from the rough pounding from the other side of the door, little bits of dust and debris falling to the carpet below.

"Do you know who that is," Izzy asked.

"No. Well, I think I might actually."

"Is this who kidnapped you," she demanded, eyes narrowed.

"Probably," I yelled over the insistent banging. "At least, it's most likely one of my three...mates."

Her eyes widened as her face paled before darkening. There was incoherent shouting from the hall now. She marched her way over to the door, her bright red face screwed up in a potent mixture of rage and impatience. She yanked the door open, right hand nestled against her hip as she casually leaned against the door frame.

"Yes," she drawled as she absently eyed her nails. "What do you want," she demanded without even looking at the intruder. "Did your parents not teach you manners," she continued before the person even had a chance to continue.

Curious, I made my way to the door. "Oh, it's just him," I said relieved as I sent a smile his way.

"Just me?" he frowned, brows raised.

"Yes. Just you," I said as I sent a smirk towards Khepri. He huffed and seemed to decide that it was best to ignore my comment.

"Where did you go," he demanded. "One moment you're next to Isis, the next you're gone!" He's yanking at his chocolate curls as he begins to pace.

"Shouldn't you already know," I snarled. I wasn't in the mood to deal with him. I had already missed my movie time with Isis; I wasn't planning on missing out on more time with my best friend.

"What exactly is that supposed to mean," he bit out, eyes narrowed. He folded his arms defensively, pausing his pacing to look down at me. Why was it that every guy I knew was at least half a head taller than me? Who decided to make guys that way?

"Just that my uncle sent you there to watch over us, didn't he?" I mirrored his current pose of his folded arms and narrowed eyes; I wasn't about to take any of his crap. His shoulders slumped at that.

"I know, I know," he moaned. "I'm sorry Belle," he said as he slumped into a nearby couch. The fight was already completely gone from him. His head was in his hands, his left foot jumping up and down from nerves. "Please just tell me that you're OK, that nothing happened," he begged. "I was so worried! I know we're no longer together, but I still care..."

"Could have fooled me," Izzy snorted causing him to shoot a look her way. She simply gave him a cheeky grin in return. "If you don't like what I'm saying you can always change your actions," she offered.

If I didn't know any better I would swear they were siblings, not cousins.

I sighed at their antics, sitting down next to him. I gently rubbed his back. "I was fine," I soothed. "One of my idiot mates just decided that it would be a brilliant idea to mark me." At the look on his face I decided it would be better to not give him any more details.

"I am so dead," he moaned. I just continued to rub his back, unsure of what else to do.

"Don't worry Khepri, I - " But I never finished. My eyes were once more narrowed to tiny slits as I glared at the person in front of me.

VOTE | COMMENT | LIKE | ADD | FOLLOW | SHARE

STAY SAFE | HAVE A GREAT DAY