Chapter 21 | Isabella

"Where are you," boomed a deep voice from the other end of the line.

I stared at the phone in confusion. I hadn't the faintest idea of who was talking to me now. "Um, not to be rude or anything...but who is this?"

There was an awkward pause at that. "Your mate. I'm your mate."

That narrowed it down to three people then. Unless there were more that I didn't know about, that is. "OK...which one of my mates though?"

There was another pause, longer this time. "Right," he seemed to be saying more to himself than me. He cleared his throat, then said, "Poseidon. That is, this, er, I - I'm Poseidon."

"OK Poseidon," I said slowly. "Not that I'm not curious about how you managed to get my number or anything, but I'm kind of busy right now."

"But---"

"I have to go now. And next time ask for my number." I hung up, turning back to my uncle.

"Who was that," he said with a raised brow

"My mates," I say without thinking.

"You're mates," he repeats with a blank face. He muttered something unintelligible under his breath. "And just who are these...mates..?" He practically spits out the word as if it leaves a bad taste in his mouth.

I don't know why he was acting like he didn't remember who they were.

"Um...they're the Alpha Triplets of the Jagged Iron Claw pack." I said slowly.

Before he could open his mouth to say another word my cell started to ring. Who could it be now?

"What," I barked into the phone.

"Well hello to you too," came Selene's voice from the other end.

I flushed as I realized that I had just yelled at my best friend for no reason. I really hope that nothing else had gone wrong.

"Is your uncle there," she continued more seriously. "My cousin tried calling his office but no one answered."

"Yes," I said slowly. "He's right here."

"Great, put him on right now."

She sounded panicked. "What's going on Moony? Is everything all right?"

"No. No it isn't, everything isn't all right. It's rogues---"

"Rogues," I shriek. My uncle looks up at that, face painted with alarm.

"Yes. They've surrounded us...Khepri said that they're there with there leader. He told me he's never seen so many at once."

I feel the blood drain from my face at that. "What," I whisper.

"Get your uncle," she urged. "We'll need all of the pack's men for this."

I turned to my uncle, phone in hand. "We're surrounded---rouges---attack," I whisper.

"What," he rasps. He clears his throat and repeats himself. "What?! Hand the phone over."

His face is strangely pale I note. "Is Beta Khepri there? Why wasn't I contacted immediately? Where are they," he barks out not giving Selene a chance to answer.

"Never mind. Put Khepri on," he says as he rises. He heads toward the front door as he listens intently to whoever is on the other line. It must be a man, probably Khepri, as the voice is deep.

I was left behind confused and worried. He should be resting now. What could be so important that he couldn't send Either Khepri or I instead? Something wasn't right.

I sat there, wringing my hands as I wait for him to return. He returned five minutes later grim faced. features pulled taut.

He shrugs on a jacket, his shoes already on. I raised my eyebrows at that.

"Let me go instead. You need your rest.

I start to get up only to stop in surprise as he shoves me back down, face stern.

"No," he yells. He sounded panicked, worried. I folded my arms over my chest and raise my brows at him.

"I...I mean you can't. You have to stay here in case I'm attacked."

My eyebrows scrunch together at that. He's lying, I can tell. "We never get rogue attacks," I say slowly.

"You're right," he said. "The last time we had one you weren't even a thought. Which is why I need you to stay her; I have experience, you don't."

I scowled at that. "How am I meant to get experience then?"

"You will," he soothed. "Just not yet."

"What are you hiding? You're acting weird. Is it from the chemo and radiation? Maybe I should come with you, just in case..."

"No," he cried, clearly panicked now. He seemed to collect himself as he smoothed his features over and took a deep breath. "No," he repeated. "You need to stay here.

He never acted like this. He looked a bit sad, it was weird, like he was holding back.

"Go then," I said. "I'll stay here," He seemed to be in a rush and didn't question me further.

"Good."

He left without another word. I was not going to stay here though. I had never been one to listen to others, especially in situations like this. He was lying and I wanted to know about what and why. I needed to know.

I quickly made my way towards the cloak room and gathered a thick, green, army-pattern jacket and some sepia hiking boots.

I made my way outside, locking the door behind me as I did. Luckily, it had rained recently so I could just follow his tracks through the mud.

It was times like this that I wished I was a male wolf.  Females couldn't transform, had weaker senses and couldn't communicate through the pack link.

I followed the foot prints into the forest surrounding the pack house.  After a half hour of trekking through the woods I heard voices up ahead. I slowly made my way towards the voices when a large hand landed heavily on my shoulder.

Jumping in surprise, I turned to meet a stranger's of hazel eyes. "Going somewhere," the man asked.

VOTE | COMMENT | LIKE | ADD | FOLLOW | SHARE

STAY SAFE | HAVE A GREAT DAY