Chapter 1 - Last Chance, Dawson

Last Chance, Agent Dawson. The directors' words echoed in my head as I stuffed a fully loaded gun in my boot, ready to storm a well known Vitali base. My last chance to find some sort of evidence to bring down one of the largest Italian Mafia Families - The Vitali family.

I pulled my bag out of the black car and trudged forward, my body was on full alert as I listened to any signs that could possibly mean that one, I would be shot and killed; two, I was being tailed; or three, well perhaps three could simply be the part where the poor victim - myself in this case of course - is taken down to one of the filthy chambers and is then tortured by the leader for answers regarding, how, what and when.

I trudged forward down the muddy path, my camera and cellphone ready for either capturing or calling for backup when I heard a loud gunshot. I immediately flattened myself on the ground as I heard guttural sounds coming from nearby in the trees. I was desperate to see or record what was going on just so that Directory Lousy - sorry I meant Lee - would stop threatening me with my job. I crawled through the mud and peered in between the trees and gasped loudly.

It looked like war! More gunshots were heard and as I watched from the sidelines I saw that the people in the left were dying while the right side remained okay. My head kept whipping from side to side in an attempt to identify which family was winning and which one was losing, unfortunately, they didn't appear to be wearing uniforms as the soccer players do on tv. They were all dressed in normal clothes, and I couldn't for the life of me tell who was who.

"We surrender!" A man from the left side yelled as he clutched his stomach, blood was pouring out at a rapid speed. The medically trained human in me was desperate to help him, but it's not like I could shout 'FBI! Hands up!' as I was here alone and I most likely would die.

I saw a man dressed in a crisp suit, flipping a shiny pistol in his hand, appear from the right side of the field. He clearly wasn't involved in the fight, he was a bystander like me. Although he did appear to be quite powerful, the man who had called surrender appeared to be shaking as the suit man - the name I'd given the man in the suit - stalked forward a menacing smile on his face. My heart began to thunder as both men were quite close to me and if they were dogs they probably would have smelt me already. I tried to stay as still as possible and listen clearly to their conversation.

"Vinchenzo," The wounded man said shivering.

"It's Mr Vitali to you," Suit man snarled.

"I'm sorry Mr Vitali. I meant no disrespect!" He said.

"I'm sure you didn't," Vinchenzo laughed humorously, "You come here and attack my family and you dare tell me that you mean no disrespect?" He spat.

"I was just following orders!" The wounded man said again. At this point, it was clear to me that he wanted to die at the hands of Vinchenzo who was quite ruthless according to the media and Chief Devlintim. 

"Whose orders?" He snarled.

"Inigo Stalias." The wounded guy said.

"So you do indeed belong to the bastard family. What's your name kid?" Vinchenzo asked.

"Matthew Small." Wounded dude responded and I shuddered as I heard a gun cock.

"Well Matthew come with me, I'll show you some mercy for your apologies," Vinchenzo said and grabbed Matthew by the arm and dragged him out of his spot roughly.

I discarded my FBI jacket and hung it on a tree and placed my phone, camera and gun in the pockets before I rubbed some mud on my face as well as my arms and ripped my olive green shirt at the bottom. I added a few leaves to my red hair and kept my gun hidden in my boot should I need to use my stealth operative skills. I had to do this so that my appearance matched my story and it would make me a bit more believable. 

I emerged from the bushes and looked around the massive field that had a horrible metallic smell to it - obviously blood. I sighed as I saw a few men - who were indeed alive - nursing their own wounds as they groaned and grunted in pain.

The Vitali side appeared to be mostly okay and less populated with injured men. They had what appeared to be a five-star treatment as there were doctors on the field attending to their wounds. So Vinchenzo Vitali does indeed care about his 'family' I thought to myself. The Stalias side was not so lucky, there were plenty of immobile bodies and the grass was painted red, it caused me to feel sick as I spotted an arm a few meters away from the corresponding body.

Standing in the shade of a massive willow tree, no one had spotted me just yet and I intended to change that.

"Help! Help! He's going to hurt me!" I screamed as I ran onto the field catching everyone's attention and hoping for the best.

The Vitali men all whipped out their guns and aimed at it me. I raised my hands in mock surrender as I squeezed a few tears out to make my story more believable. I tried to relive the emotions I felt when I had been with my ex-boyfriend Santiago Sandrine, a dermatologist and quite a vile man. He was useful for one thing though - he did manage to keep my skin nice.

"There's a man who was trying to kill me!" I sobbed and shuddered, I was suddenly glad that I had taken drama classes in high school.

A man who appeared to be the beta of the group approached me with two guns aimed at me as I sobbed some more.

"Who's trying to kill you?" He asked me both guns were now at my head, ready to blow my brains out when he felt necessary.

"My boyfriend! He has gone mad! He was drinking and... and... and he thought I was cheating on him," I cried some more and thankfully my eyes were cooperating with me and producing enough tears so that I could squeeze them forcibly out of my tear ducts.

"I see," The man nodded his cold eyes searching my face, "What's your name?" He asked gruffly.

"Stephanie," I lied immediately as I wasn't going to give away who I was so easily. They'd probably kill me on the spot if they realised who I truly was.

"Alright, Stephanie." He said and turned to the three men behind him who also had guns aimed at me and were probably ready to pull the trigger the moment a silent signal was given, "We'll take her to Mr Vitali, see what he wants to do with her." He said and I gulped my throat suddenly became dry.

The man turned to me, "Follow me!" He barked and I nodded.

Hey guys!

First proper update for this book and I'm already excited to start this new journey with you all!

Don't forget to vote and comment on my book and all books out there as it helps and motivates authors to update a chapter like you won't believe.

Thank you all for reading, see you next update :)