Chapter 28 - Detective DuVitto

The sound of cars was finally reaching my ears. Hours of walking through nature and hearing nothing but my very own loud thoughts blaring in my ears made me miss the everyday sounds that we hear but do not necessarily register.

The occasional sound of someone's loud music, the sound of someone mowing their lawn were very basic sounds that I have become accustomed to yet missed dearly when I spent two days in the forest trekking forwards towards the goal.

"Hallelujah!" I screamed as I saw the road with a whole bunch of cars driving speedily on it.

All I had to do was make myself look more noticeable so that people would report to the FBI that I was alive and sound and hopefully they would send someone to help me out.

I had already finished my water supply making my bag noticeably lighter. I stood by the road and watched as the cars flew past all except one, a silver Honda Civic. The car stopped in front of me and the driver, a man in his early twenties, rolled down the window and pulled off his sunglasses.

"Need a ride?" He asked.

Hitchhiking wasn't exactly part of the plan that Trevor had made me recite off by heart but it definitely would get me to the FBI HQ rather quickly. Besides, the driver didn't look dodgy and
he didn't seem to have any ill intentions.

I nodded my head, "Yes please."

"Hop right in." He said and unlocked the doors for me. I swiftly made my way across the hood of the car and pulled the passenger door open and got in and sat.

The really cold air conditioner felt nice against my crisp, hot skin that was sweaty and sticky.

"Where to?" He asked me as he took a look at my rugged appearance.

"The FBI headquarters please," I said as I sat back and allowed him to drive forward.

"My name is Luciano DuVitto." He said after a few moments of silence, "I work as an accountant at a well-known firm and I'm twenty-nine years old. I'm not married, nor am I seeing someone nor do I have kids." He told me as he lowered the radio.

"That's really nice. I didn't really enjoy accounting at school, to be honest with you." I laughed at the memory, "My name is Arianna Dawson, I'm not married, I don't have a boyfriend and I have no kids. I am twenty-three years old." I felt bad about lying about the boyfriend part but this innocent man couldn't know about me, an FBI agent, dating Vinchenzo Vitali, a mafia leader.

"Swore off men for the rest of your life?" He asked as he looked at me with a small smile.

I shrugged, "I haven't found the right one yet."

"That's right of you. Don't marry for anything but love." He grinned as he took a left.

"That's the plan Mr DuVitto." I grinned as I grabbed my phone and read the text messages he had sent me.

Vinchenzo: No boyfriend huh? Moving on so soon?

Vinchenzo: I didn't know you were into old men, Red. You disappoint me sometimes.

I sighed as I turned off my phone screen.

"You can call me Luciano. I don't mind." He smiled as he pulled into a gas station, "I'm going to refuel. If you need to use the bathroom or buy something you can."

"Thank you." I thanked him but remained in the passenger seat of the car.

Arianna: No need to be jealous. I can't have anyone know that we are together.

Vinchenzo: Embarrassed of who your boyfriend is? Is that it?

Arianna: No!!! I can't have anyone associating us together or I will lose my life. Surely you don't want that?

Vinchenzo: No I don't want that.

Arianna: Good. Then don't complain.

I put my phone into my bag and ignored the immediate response he sent me. Luciano got back into the car with me and we drove for three hours straight. He dropped me off by the curb where the security guard, Byron, stood and watched me his face pale white as though he had seen a ghost.

"Arianna!" Luciano called.

I looked at him and smiled, "Yes?"

"Here's my number. Call if you need anything." He said handing me a business card with his number scrawled on it. Luciano immediately drove away leaving me alone with Byron.

I flipped the card that he had given me over and gasped as I realised that he was a detective from the local police station. I was suddenly feeling rather scared that Luciano DuVitto knew that something was up.

Hey Guys!

Sorry that this update was so short but I wanted to post something for you all :)

I hope you enjoyed this update and don't forget to tap on the star below to vote and leave your thoughts in the comment section ♡.

Xoxo
Perla