Chapter 14 - The Mafia Ball

Standing awkwardly next to Vinchenzo I couldn't help but allow my eyes to wonder around the room and pick up small things like the way the waiters looked scared around most of the men.

I don't blame them. These men kill other human beings to earn a living. Standing on the arms of one, I was strangely reassured he wouldn't hurt me. Vinchenzo doesn't like me but I couldn't possibly imagine him doing something to hurt me, it was a strange, strange feeling to have around a mafia leader.

"Don't embarrass me Red." Vinchenzo suddenly said giving me the slightest fright and pulled me away from my train of thoughts.

"You picked the wrong girl then." I whispered back and watched as his green eyes darkened.

"Don't forget I have men who would die for me stationed in every corner of this room. One silent signal you're dead, you're gone and Arianna Dawson is no more."

"You're cruel." I sneered as I looked away avoiding his gaze.

He chuckled, "Thank you, Red. I'll take that as a compliment."

"Sadist." I rolled my eyes.

"I never claimed to be otherwise." He said as he whisked me to the dance floor my dress swishing elegantly behind me.

He placed his hands on my waist and my hands shot up and wrapped themselves around his neck as we swayed to the slow, romantic song in the background.

Vinchenzo spun me around before he gently pulled me towards him. We remained in absolute silence, one that was comfortable and not awkward at all.

"This is nice." I commented shyly as I leaned my head against his well built chest.

"I suppose so." Was his response as we continued swaying to the music, surrounded by other couples.

"We must head to sit down at the table." Vinchenzo murmured into my ear as he grabbed my hand and led through the crowd of people to the massive table.

"Who is this lovely lady besides you?" A man who looked in forties said as he approached us.

"My company for tonight, Donfrio."

"She's absolutely stunning."

Vinchenzo grunted as the man turned to me and grabbed my hand placing a soft kiss on it.

"My name is Gino Donfrio."

"It's a pleasure to meet you my name is Arianna Dawson."

"The pleasure is all mine Miss Dawson."

"That is enough, Donfrio." Vinchenzo interrupted as he pulled away from the man who burst into laughter.

"Who's he?" I whispered once we were seated in the designated seats.

"Leader of the the Donfrio Mafia."

"You could be more forthcoming with information you know?" I said with a frown.

Vinchenzo ignored me and sipped his drink. The waiters began to serve exquisite types of food along with red wine that tasted amazing and was like heaven to my taste buds.

I was suddenly missing the moment at the dance floor. The moment I could pretend that what Vinchenzo and I had was real, something genuine and legitimate. We were simply pretending to like each other in public but behind closed doors and beneath the surface we hated each other. He despised every breath I took and the same for me.

Deep down in my heart I knew Vinchenzo had a soft side. All men had a soft side no matter how ruthless or cruel they are. Studying his profile, I picked up on the fact that his jaw was tightly clenched and his hand was wrapped tighter around the glass than usual.

In a perfect world where I was his girlfriend I would have leaned over to offer some comfort. But, in this twisted world I remained in my place rigid and alert waiting for any signs of trouble that might be bestowed upon me even though I was unwilling.

It seemed as though I had done fate wrong because it was clearly not on my side. I leaned back in my chair and sipped my drink surveying the scene in front of me.

Many couples were on the dance floor still dancing fluidly to the music, their seemingly flawless movements matched the beats perfectly. The waiters were all scurrying around making sure everyone was well accommodated for the evening.

There were a few girls in the corner giggling as they pointed at men who were on the other side. Unrequited love, it seemed to be so.

I was upset. Upset at my foolish heart that was now somehow yearning for Vinchenzo, yearning for things that could not be. I couldn't understand how or why, it didn't seem right, didn't seem possible at all.

I didn't remember the fall but I remember the pit. The pit is dark and unkind almost unfriendly. Hateful if you must. In the car, I had said I was going to channel all this... feeling into hate.

I would, for I knew there was no hope. There was no ounce of hope left for me to cling on. It was all a hopeless pit of never-ending yearning, never-ending want, never-ending wistful thinking of what could possibly be.

"The date has been confirmed." Vinchenzo said.

"Which date?"

"The day you'll vow your alliance to the Vitali family."

"When is that?" I gulped.

"Two weeks, Red. In exactly two weeks from now."

Hey Guys!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter and I wanted to know your thoughts on the book so far?

I have also created an upload schedule!

The Schedule:

Opposites Attract : Tuesday & Thursday

Reds' Mafia Leader: Tuesday, Wednesday & Friday

The Billionaires Sweetheart: Monday & Friday

Don't forget  to tap the star below to vote and leave your thoughts in the comment section. I'll see you next update!

Xoxo
Perla