Green-eyed monster

Disclaimer: written by: @SweetSouthernGal

I do say, Marly. It looks like our dearest Lily has been bitten by the green-eyed monster." Jessie said in hushed tone to one of her best friends.
"I dare say you're right, Jessie. It looks like Lily's in love."

Had the friend in question heard them, there would have been glares, indignant shouts, and some heavy denial. However, the subject of this hushed conversation was in her own little world. Her own little jealous world.

The three friends were seated around a small table in The Three Broomsticks enjoying some Butterbeer. It was a Hogsmeade weekend, so naturally- many tables in the room were filled by couples on dates. One such couple happened to be James Potter and Rachel Jordan. The two weren't even being intimate really. Sure, they were sitting quite near each other, but they hadn't exhibited PDA, and they were speaking like two good friends. While anyone looking on could tell they were having a good time, they could also tell that the date had not shown any sparks between the two. However, Lily's vision was a little tinted and she saw the situation quite differently.

"I just realized something incredibly ironic." Marly said in a thoughtful tone.

"What?" Jessie asked,

"Lily has been bitten by the "green-eyed monster," correct?"

"Correct."

"And, well you've seen Lily when she's pissed...and she has green eyes...so really, she's a bit of a "green-eyed monster" herself."

Jessie laughed, "Say, you're right!"

"Uh oh." Marly said.

"What?"

"Look at her."

The two looked back to their angry friend. They almost swore they saw actual steam coming out of her ears, before they each individually decided it was trick of the light. Her eyes were hardened and glaring, and her red hair seemed extra vivid. She was breathing heavily, and if looks could kill...Well, James and Rachel would have died a violent death at least fifteen minutes ago.

"She's about to attack." Jessie said in a fierce whisper.

"That's why I said 'uh-oh.'"

Suddenly, Rachel stood up, and walked away towards the restroom. James watched her as she walked away, and shook his head with a small grin. Then, as his eyes surveyed the room, he caught sight of Lily. And all the way across the room, Jessie and Marly could see him gulp. Lily stood up, and stalked over to James. James shrunk down a little in chair, as if he really thought hiding would help, or that he actually could hide.

"Do you suppose we should stop her and point out that she has no technical reason to be jealous?" Marly asked.

"I know that, and you know that. But, subconsciously, Lily sees James as hers. Which, admittedly, is stupid seeing as she must have turned him down a million times...but Lily has always been slow on the uptake when it comes to things like this."

"She's going to make a fool of herself." Marly muttered, as Lily came closer to James.

"Well, obviously. But, at least her feelings will finally be put out there. And then James will admit he still likes her, as we all know he does, and they'll get together and hopefully Lily's silly inner green-eyed monster will go away."

"You don't think them getting together would only make the green-eyed monster grow?"

"Could it?"

"Good point."

"James." Lily said, as she sat in the seat across the table from him.

"Er, hello Lily." James said meekly, as he sat up a little.