The First Date

Disclaimer: written by @JHope24601

"I can't believe you're actually going on a date with Lily Evans. The Lily Evans! The girl that's hated your guts since, what, fifth year?"

"Don't remind me, Padfoot." James moaned pleadingly, getting up from his four-poster bed. "I'm already nervous enough as it is!"

"You'll be fine, James." Reassured Remus with a pat on the back.

Peter chirped, "Yeah, Prongs, you'll be alright!"

"I was just joking with you, mate! You'll be fine, everything will go great, and, before you know it, she'll be begging to go on another date with you!" Sirius exclaimed.

Remus rolled his eyes, while failing to hold back a grin that was spreading across his face. Peter looked ready to burst with excitement and Sirius had a mischievous glint in his eyes that didn't go unnoticed by James.

"Don't say anything else, Padfoot, I'm serious!"

"Sirius, I swear if you say what I think you're about to say, I will kill you."

"Aw, Moony, you're no fun! But, for future reference, Prongs, dearie, I'm Sirius and you're James."

Sirius, Peter, and James burst out laughing, not able to hold it in anymore; while Remus' glare alone could have probably killed them all. But soon enough Remus began to chuckle along with them at the joke that had gotten old before it had even been thought of.

Feeling relaxed and determined to nail his date with Lily, he gave himself one last look in the mirror and stuffed the first snitch he had ever caught into his pocket. The four Marauders headed down to the Great Hall, where they separated and wished James good luck as he headed out to the Great Lake to meet with Lily.

Lily looked at her reflection one more time to triple check that her ponytail didn't have too many fly-aways and to smooth her jumper and skirt for the umpteenth time. While she would deny it to anyone else, she was feeling slightly nervous. Ok, she felt extremely nervous.

Going on a date with someone you had flat out refused and hated for at least two years (if not more) was intimidating, to say the least. What would they talk about? What did he have planned for them to do?

"Why, oh why, did I agree to this?" She mumbled nervously as she gathered her satchel, pulled on her woolen, grey coat, and adjusted her Gryffindor scarf.

"Well, here goes nothing." With one last glance at herself and pushing away other doubts she had, she rushed out of the dormitory and down to the Great Lake to meet James.

All around James the sound of chattering students could be heard heading to Hogsmeade, bundled in their warmest attire to protect against the chilly, November wind.

James pulled his coat collar higher to shield his neck from the icy wind that rippled across the lake. He looked toward the road to Hogsmeade, his friends were probably half-way to town by now. Sticking his hand in his pocket, he grabbed the snitch, and began tossing it into the air and waiting a few beats to catch it.

"And here I thought you'd given up that old habit."

Startled, James dropped the snitch and whirled around. There she was. The girl that had kept him awake at night, said, "No," to him more times than he could count, and that made his heart skip a beat. She was standing right here in front of him.

He quickly bent down, snatched the snitch, and stood up; all while running a hand through his hair.

"Nervous habit?" he offered with a sheepish grin.