Acceptable human being

Disclaimer: written by @lalas

She was staring again. She was staring so hard that it was a wonder that his head hadn't burst into flames yet.

It was a very peculiar scene, normally it was the other way round, he was the one usually staring at her. Quite frankly, the turn around had James confused and a little freaked out.

If this had been the first time it had happened then perhaps he might have had to seek conformation from one of his mates that he didn't have food on his face or a bogy hanging from his nose. As it was she had been watching his every move for a couple of months now and he was starting to get annoyed, he wanted answers.

So next thing he knew, he suddenly stood up, walked up to her, grabbed her wrist and pulled her out of the great hall like a naughty child who was about to be told off.

"Potter," she said, pushing her hair out of her flushed face when they finally came to a halt in an empty corridor just off of the main entrance hall. "What exactly is it that you think you're doing? You can't just drag me about! And when exactly did it become acceptable for you to touch me?"

"It became acceptable the moment you decided that I was so fascinating that you had to stare at me all the time. I'm starting to feel like some freak in a circus!" He retorted.

She scoffed, raising her chin a little. "Yes, it is unnerving to have someone watch your every move isn't its?" she questioned poignantly with a scathing look his way before saying "Nevertheless, I haven't been staring and I have no idea what you're babbling about, your imagination has been running away with you again."

He laughed disbelievingly. "You have been watching me like a hawk for weeks, in class, at meals, in the common room, and I'm even pretty sure I saw you while I was at Quidditch practice."

She let her gaze linger on him for a movement before ignoring everything he had said and turning away from him shaking her wrist loose and getting ready to storm away.

"Oh no you don't," he said, regaining possession of her arm and spinning her back to face him before she could get more that a foot away. "You are going to explain what's going on, right now."

"Or what?" she asked petulantly.

He raised his eyebrows and fingered his wand lightly.

"You wouldn't hex me," she said with confidence.

"True, but I don't need to hex you to make your life a nightmare," he sighed before pointing his wand at the nearest suit of armour and animating it with a flick of his wrist. It flailed its arms and withdrew its sword from it scabbard obviously happy to be free and took off down the corridor waving its weapon widely squeaking loudly the whole way.

Lily watched it go blandly for a moment before James questioned again as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened. "So what's going on?"

"That really was quite impressive magic, where did you learn a spell like that? And more importantly why?" she questioned curiously instead of answering his question.

"Lily," he growled, in a low warning voice. "Stop avoiding the issue, I'll get more annoying every time you ignore my question." he continued sharply, before proving his point and deftly throwing a dungbomb down an adjoining corridor and sending a stream of disgusted students in the opposite direction.

"Aren't you a little old to be carrying a bag of those with you everywhere you go?" she asked in voice mixed with disgust, interest, and incredulity.

"I have a very active imagination Evans and all the time in the world." he sighed in response before raising his wand a spell forming on his lips.

"Nothing, nothing is going on," she said quickly trying to stop him from inflicting anymore mayhem and hold down a blush at the same time.