a raindrops honesty

disclaimer: written by Lindsay Marie

A Raindrop's Honesty The night was dark, and the clouds covering the horizon moved with the wind's every whim. The full moon towered over the sea of gray, illuminating colors upon the sky. Rays of light penetrated the cloudy expanse and reflected off the buildings and streets of London. The light shifted through the window of one house and fell upon the sidewall of a girl's room. She was lying aimlessly on her bed while staring up at her ceiling. Her cascading red hair billowed in a mess on her pillow from continued rolling. Her lips moved as numbers ran through her head, but none of them did anything to help her fall asleep. Seventeen-year-old Lily Evans sighed in disgust and flopped over on her side. Her gaze now directed to the light reflecting on the wall. Looking out the window, she saw the concrete street at the foot of her house. The street lamps along the road showed a few faint circles of light safe from the darkness surrounding.

"I need some air," Lily said softly to herself. She couldn't stand it anymore, just lying there unable to sleep. So many thoughts and memories found their way to her sub-conscience making it impossible for her to even sit still. She thought about her life, both content and unsettling. Ever since her mom died a year earlier, insomnia overpowered her senses night after night. Her mother's face that once showed so clearly in her mind was fading into a vague picture. She was quickly loosing grasp of her memories, and that hurt her more than anything. Walking across her room to her window, she slowly lifted the heavy glass. She winced when it gave off a loud squeak and froze to listen if she woke up her father and sister. If her father knew she was sneaking out she would be grounded for the whole summer. Pushing the glass all the way up, she climbed carefully into the dreary willow tree only inches from her window.

James Potter also seemed to have trouble falling asleep that night. He was sitting on his window seat staring up at the moon. The light reflected shadows over his body giving a mysterious and yet comforting mood to his room. He was thinking of his friend Remus. Tonight was a full moon, and that meant horror and pain for him. It was a fear that would never leave his side and the fear for others that would never leave his heart. Remus was a werewolf, and the very mention of this secret gives chills. James proved his friendship by standing by him no matter what, and that formed a brotherhood that could never be broken. James and the rest of the Marauders learned how to be animagus in their forth year and ever since they have comforted him during his transformations. This is the first full moon in years in which he couldn't be there for him, and he was really nervous for him.

Staring restlessly out of the window, his gaze finally drifted over to the house across from him. It was Lily Evan's house, another witch in his year and his best target. So much stuff has happened to her through out the years, and yet James didn't know why he still insisted pranking her. He felt connected to her somehow, and not just because they were neighbors. James didn't know what it was, but he knew something was there. His haughty pride forced him to deny the truth. He saw her face in his mind- her long red hair falling over her shoulders like a mane, her emerald green eyes that sparkled, and her body that was full of curves. He dismissed his thoughts as soon as they came. She would never look at him the same way.

Unknowingly, he stared at her window lost in thought until he saw it opening. He was in such a daze that at first he didn't really see it happening, but when a red haired girl started to climb out of it he came back to reality quickly. He couldn't take his eyes off of her as she carefully climbed her way down the big willow tree. She jumped the last few feet, and as she landed on the concrete she looked up to her house to see if she woke anyone. She was obviously still in her pajamas. She wore a loose fitted spaghetti strapped shirt and a pair of pajama pants. He watched while she started off towards the left side of the street and walked down the road. He took his eyes off her for a moment and told himself it was none of his business as he looked back to the moon. After a minute his curiosity got the better of him, and he quietly sneaked downstairs and out the door of his house.