let the rain fall

disclaimer: written by montlake

Today was a horrible day. A really horrible day. The type of day you hope not to see when you take a glance out a window. It was raining so hard, I swear anybody who dared to venture out into the storm would have been washed away, if they weren't blown off first. Although, I may be a little bias considering I've always hated rainy days ever since my sister started to hate me. We have this family tradition of staying indoors and having 'family time' when it gets too wet to really do anything else. By 'family time' I mean the full deal: board games and cookies and all sorts of lame things you grow out of until you become a parent (although I still like cookies). When I was younger, rainy days were fine, I'd even say I enjoyed them, but nowadays, it basically means my parents both hopelessly trying to get me and Petunia to talk civilly to each other. If it were up to me, this wouldn't be too hard, but Petunia has a disorder where she can't seem to say anything to me with out mentioning the word 'freak' at least two times. Believe me, I've counted. Being a witch is great most of the time, but it ruined any chance of a healthy relationship with my sister.

However, I hate talking about my family, so I'll move on. I didn't even notice the weather today until Remus Lupin and Sirius Black staged a very long, very loud conversation about this weekend's Quidditch match, Slytherin vs. Hufflepuff. Sirius, who had a habit of supporting the underdog, it seemed, was convinced Hufflepuff would come out on top, and easily. I think he may also have favoured them simply because they weren't Slytherin, but I don't intend to ask. Remus, who was tactical about things like this, couldn't see how Slytherin could lose in this weather when the Hufflepuff Seeker was paranoid of rain and would be wearing god knows what to protect himself. I didn't listen to much more of what they were saying, but the gist of what I'm trying to get across is Remus mentioned the weather causing me to look outside, curious to see what 'this weather' was.

And then I saw the rain. The amazing amount of rain and wind and sticks and stones and cats and dogs blowing around the castle. And, believe me, that was all I saw. It was as thick as, well, really thick fog, not the type of weather one goes out in. So I abandoned the plans I'd had of studying outside and went to my favourite couch in the Gryffindor common room, which, as always, hadn't been taken because nobody else liked it. It was predictably red, with a yellow cushion, and looked very uncomfortable because of the lumpiness it seemed to ooze. I was not one to be fooled by appearances and knew it was perfect for somebody my size (specifically, quite petite) to sit down and get lost in. It also had a gorgeous view of the Quidditch Pitch, which, I now knew from Sirius, was being ruined by this horrible weather.

I'm the type of person who likes to dream, you see. I spent entirely too much of my precious spare time gazing out a window or into a fire. Today, what with the intriguing rain pattering down outside and nothing really better to do, I found myself spellbound, and gazing down at the world I could see through my window. For several minutes I was awed by the bareness of Hogwarts on a day like this. I watched the drops spatter against the windowsill, sometimes splashing up onto the window itself. They didn't obscure my vision, because there is some kind of complex charm on the schools windows that keeps them from getting dirty. However, to my surprise, the world was not as empty as I had hoped. A lone figure stood in the middle of the Quidditch Pitch. I hadn't noticed them until a small spark caught my eye, probably a spell, and I saw movement. Unable to make out who it was, I watched the person for a while until they collapsed onto the ground and I, naturally, became a little worried.

Being a prefect, I felt it was my duty to help the person, so I got up and walked towards the portrait hole, rather hurriedly. At around the point I was about to leave the common room and escape into the empty hallways, Remus Lupin tapped me on the back and stated blatantly, "It's raining, you know." I found this a bit of an insult to my intelligence (of course it was raining) despite that I hadn't noticed until the same Lupin had brought it to my attention.